Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I haven’t smoked in over 20 years and don’t go to construction sites so no I haven’t noticed. Maybe that’s why Labor are importing more people at breakneck speed, so they can collect more tobacco and alcohol excise!

My point still stands though, most migrants are coming from way poorer countries and the advantages of being in Australia would outweigh the costs of cigarettes and alcohol. Housing in the other hand….

Dude, they aren't poorer.
Yes a country like say India has lots of poor people, but it also has more rich people than the population of Australia.
I've worked with 4 Indian guys over the years, I'm a poor guy compared to them.

This whole idea that Australia is fundamentally richer than all other countries is not only delusional, arrogant and down right wrong, it's also making us a laughing stock of the world.

Yea Australia is property rich, but so what, if you come here for 5 years you don't give a flying **** if Australia is property rich.

Yes our dollar is still strong against some, I know lots of Philippino guys that are panel beaters. They send money home to their families, they're all thinking about moving from Australia, not yet but it's on their mind.
This is because the more they pay in rent the less the Aussie dollar stacks up against other countries.

Plus if you smoke wich quite a lot of immigrant workers do, if you buy legally it will basically kill off all the money you can send home.
Which is why there's a chop chop on every corner now.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
That was illegal since 2021, I think, so current data would not reflect that.

Maybe you could inform the government and ASIC too? They still seem to be chasing phoenix companies. And, it’s not really a matter of making it illegal - it has always been illegal. It’s a matter of closing loopholes and policing company activity which involves matching off a closed company with the new phoenix company and proving the intent.

https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/news/news/2023/crackdown-on-builders-dodging-responsibilities

https://asic.gov.au/about-asic/news...s-after-engaging-in-illegal-phoenix-activity/

The bottom line is that dodgy construction companies ‘going under’ has been par for course forever. They’re just dodging their legal obligations to their customers, suppliers and workers.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Maybe you could inform the government and ASIC too? They still seem to be chasing phoenix companies. And, it’s not really a matter of making it illegal - it has always been illegal. It’s a matter of closing loopholes and policing company activity which involves matching off a closed company with the new phoenix company and proving the intent.

https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/news/news/2023/crackdown-on-builders-dodging-responsibilities

https://asic.gov.au/about-asic/news...s-after-engaging-in-illegal-phoenix-activity/

The bottom line is that dodgy construction companies ‘going under’ has been par for course forever. They’re just dodging their legal obligations to their customers, suppliers and workers.

This cleary shows it wasn't illegal before 2020.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/C2020A00006/asmade/text

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
the advantages of being in Australia would outweigh the costs of cigarettes and alcohol.
A pack of smokes a day and a couple of slabs of beer could cost you $400 a week.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A pack of smokes a day and a couple of slabs of beer could cost you $400 a week.

And in Croatia that would be like $150aud a week for the exact same thing. The other $250 is basically tax.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Good reason to give up or cut back. I gave up smoking a long time ago when it started getting to around $20 a pack. Figured I could find better things to do with my money.

Alcohol is another story but I cut back from buying a bottle once a fortnight to once a month.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
And in Croatia that would be like $150aud a week for the exact same thing. The other $250 is basically tax.

I remember watching a video from one for the YouTubers I watch (Bald and Bankrupt) and he was in Belarus and bought the most expensive cigarettes in the shop for some poor guy living in a shack in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. I worked out the cost in AUD and it was about four dollars something!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Good reason to give up or cut back. I gave up smoking a long time ago when it started getting to around $20 a pack. Figured I could find better things to do with my money.

Alcohol is another story but I cut back from buying a bottle once a fortnight to once a month.

But you have been conditioned to this Australian attitude.

You do realise that in other countries smoking is the norm.
Hell even in NZ they still smoke in eating areas, last time I was there I was at a pub in Tairua, I was smoking back then, quit now.
But I walked over to the outside of the outdoor area to smoke, people were looking at me strange.
Then I started eating and people sparked up, my uncle said it's normal over there.
This is how far different Australia is.

My mate is Croat, he told me one time he was over there having a family lunch his Cousin was smoking, he asked him if he could stop.
His cousin said something along the lines of "when you're in this country cousin you follow our ruels"
This was inside and my mate is a smoker and he has smoked with his cousin before.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
He didn’t make that profit, the employees did. I’ve only seen the MD for the company I work for once in the over 20 years I’ve been working for the company.

I’m sure he does a lot of important stuff but he’s not the one making the money from the day to day running of the business, the employees are.
For a business to be successful it takes the combined efforts from all levels.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
For a business to be successful it takes the combined efforts from all levels.

Yep, that is why I left my last job, the CEO lost all interest in the place.
He started the business, but he also had others, so where I used to work was a group, so the CEO only got a fraction compared to his other endeavours.
The place turned to ****.

His idea was to put some uni educated idiots in charge, but nothing changed, because they don't actually know how the money is made, just that is being made or not.

Citroen in the early 1900's maybe circa 35 had an issue with money.
So they promoted a guy from down low, he sacked all the office idiots and moved all the floor managers to the office.
They went back into the black in 2 years if memory serves me correct.

That is a perfect example of how a CEO can make a difference.