Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anti Boil/Freeze To Much added?

rhinoman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6
Hi,

I decided to flush and refresh my radiator as the original coolant was very rusty. Purchased the 5 litre container from Repco which said to use at 50% concentration - I got carried away and threw in the whole container which left not much room for any water! :bang:

What do you guys reckon, is this a bad thing - should drain some or will it be OK?

thanks - Rhinoman :)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I'd drain it, check your book for radiator capacity and go with the 50-50.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
your cooling capacity is atleast 10 litres anyway isn't it? did you start the car to run the fluid through the motor and turn the heater on too to get it through the heater core?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
your cooling capacity is atleast 10 litres anyway isn't it? did you start the car to run the fluid through the motor and turn the heater on too to get it through the heater core?

Aha very true, forgot about that.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
nulon book says commodore v6, 12-15 litres cooling system, use 50% the whole bottle will be fine, just top it up with water til its full.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
on another note i always premix my coolant before i put it in. takes a little longer but you know its mixed right.

rhinoman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6
Geez you guys are fast, I did not drain the block as its been damn hot in Melbourne and I had to replace the rusty muck with some good stuff. My mechanic could not do it until next week so had a go myself !

rhinoman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6
Appreciate the responses guys, I bleed off the air (there was none!) and turned on heater (silly me) so it all looks good now. I will mention it to my mechanic but should be good -- thanks.

Here is my next drama, put on the brakes and the parking lights and dash lights come on - weird or what?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
that one was discussed the other day, i think the conclusion was putting the wrong globe in the brake light socket or the globe has blown and shorted over to the parker part of it.