Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modding VS ecotec

parkerst

Reaction score
I've got a stock 3.8L vs and I'm looking to add soem performance modifications onto it.

What are your recomendations for the best performance increase for minimal cost. At the moment, I'm considering 1.95ultimate rocker rollers for ecotec, with extractors and a dyno retune.

Also, what sort of performance increase can i expect from these modifications?

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
This has been covered a few times but for your benefit.

Before you do anything fit a CAI (Cold air intake). Do a search someone has listed the part numbers it's $50 from holden and you can fit it yourself.

Stage 1
Exhaust extractors and a memcal from doctor bob

Stage 2
Rockers (Yella Terra or FIT) and or a cam.

Stage 3
Rebuild - a lot of companies to choose from, Yella Terra, C.O.M.E racing etc

Stage 4
Boost if you rebuilt to suit.

This is just a quick guide. As everyone will tell you. How fast you want to go really depends on how thick your wallet is.

BTW I have some fit rockers here 1.91 have done 5,000k's 550 + postage if you want.

parkerst

Reaction score
Excellent thanks. I'll be in touch in the near future for those rockers if you don't sell them too :D

Do you have the rocker arms or do i need to buy some?

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Excellent thanks. I'll be in touch in the near future for those rockers if you don't sell them too :D

Do you have the rocker arms or do i need to buy some?

nah it's got rockers and brackets. It has bolts but you are best off with new ones and with the pre lube from fit it's $42 + postage. I haven't fitted them yet it just depends as I'll be broke for the next month after that I might fit em if no one grabs them off me.

parkerst

Reaction score
I was told that putting a charger on an Ecotec is likely to blow the pistons out due to their cut down size...

is this true?

If so:

is it safe to run 8psi on a turbo?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
I was told that putting a charger on an Ecotec is likely to blow the pistons out due to their cut down size...

is this true?

If so:

is it safe to run 8psi on a turbo?

not sure what your on about with the pistons, the rods are a bit shorter than the earlier buick engine...but im not sure what thats got to do with adding forced induction. maybe what the person that told you that meant is that the ecotec has a higher compression ratio than the buick engine, so adding too much boost can end in tears.
getting a thicker head gasket and lowering the comp ratio to a more "boost friendly" 8.5:1 or something along those lines would be advisable if you wanted to run some decent boost - i probably wouldnt go over 6-8psi max on a stock engine if you wanted any longevity out of it and its used for a daily driver.
with a lower comp ratio and some forged pistons you could do a more pleasing 10-12psi intercooled, safely....probably more than that even.

parkerst

Reaction score
Well as suggested higher in the tread I'm doing the following. In order..
1. CAI
2. 1:9+:1 FIT rockers
3. Extracters
4: Sports exhaust (is it worth it?)
5: Camshaft
5. Rebuild (intending to get a anti-friction coating on pistons during this)
(how do i lower the comp ratio?)
6. Boost (8psi charger hopefully).

So would there be any problem doing this?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i see one obvious problem in your plan - using rockers and a cam, it may not work to your advantage having both and you would need to choose the cam grind specifically to suit your application or you can have problems with too much lift or coil bounce.
also a "sports exhaust" or whats known as a cat back exhaust is worth it, probably more so than extractors on a stock car.
if your rebuilding the engine i doubt you would re-use your current pistons, especially if your going to be using forced induction...getting some forged pistons would be worth while. i mentioned before about a thicker head gasket - this is how you can lower your compression ratio.
one key thing that you didnt mention is tuning...in your list, up untill the cam change you'll be right, after that you'll need to tune your car.
it would be wise and more cost effective to rebuild the engine at this stage, adding a bigger cam, forged pistons, have the heads ported (if you wanted to), o-ring the block and get yourself a copper head gasket.
putting the blower/turbo (i dont know what sort of forced induction your after) at this stage would save on tuning costs also, otherwise you'd need to pay for a tune after each mod, ie, after the rebuild, then again when the forced induction goes on.
something i also forgot is fuel supply, you'd want to get some s/c injectors, a rising rate fuel regulator, and also a better fuel pump to keep up demand with using boost.
in short you'd be up for a lot of money - quite the opposite of what you where asking for in your first post - "What are your recomendations for the best performance increase for minimal cost".

parkerst

Reaction score
I was looking to spend the minimal amount of money for maximum increase, I didn't say i wasn't willing to spend a lot of money :p

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Rebuild will set you back about $4-5K if done properly. If you are going ahead with a rebuild then don't waste time and money on roller rockers and the cam... just do one or the other with the rebuild. As mentioned earlier you shouldn't do both higher ratio rockers AND a cam unless you are getting a custom cam grind.

Whats your budget? Are you planning on spending a lot of money all at once or just adding to it bit by bit? If you can afford to dump a lot of money on it all at once its worth doing a whole heap of things at the same time as it will save you time and money in the long run.

Also remember that its a good idea to think about other areas for improvement besides the engine. More power makes you faster, yes, but better use of the power you have already got will make you faster also. Consider a change of diff ratio, possible conversion to LSD and some work on the gearbox. I'm guessing its auto so think about getting a shift kit installed, and if you are expecting to make a lot of power (rebuild + turbo will DEFINITELY require this) then you should get the auto rebuilt as well so it doesn't have a nervous breakdown when you try and feed it too much power.

Traction is important to consider as well... if you only have stock tyres you'll get a far better launch with a new set of rims with nice wide tyres. 235/45/17R seems to be a common size for good grip. Also note that an LSD will help with traction a lot also.

Spaced you bastard when were you going to tell me you had rockers for sale!