Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Speedo inaccurate???

efryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 3.6 Auto
Has anyone noticed inaccuracies with the VE Speedo.

I use a TomTom (full unit), and on the VZ Equip, the speedo was within 1 km/h of the speed shown on the TomTom, right across the range, from 10km/h through to 120km/h.

In the VZ Equip (Stock), with the TomTom I was seeing the following:
TomTom is showing 60km/h the VZ Speedo is showing 61km/h
TomTom is showing 80km/h the VZ Speedo is showing 81km/h
TomTom is showing 110km/h the VZ Speedo is showing 101km/h

Now in a VE SV6 (Stock), the same TomTom setup, I am seeing a large variance.

The results I have are as follows:
TomTom is showing 60km/h the VE Speedo is showing 63km/h
TomTom is showing 80km/h the VE Speedo is showing 84km/h
TomTom is showing 110km/h the VE Speedo is showing 105km/h

I have run this test over several times, mainly on freeway conditions, and made sure the system was working with 7+ satellites.

I wonder if this is an issue with the software in the car.

With the VZ speed, I understand the speedo showing slightly higher, but it was consistent across the range and by a small negligible amount.

With the VE, 5 km/h on the freeway makes a difference as you watch other drivers pass.....

Anyone else seeing the issue as well.....

Regards

Bob

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
But your greatest variance is with the VZ...

TomTom is showing 110km/h the VZ Speedo is showing 101km/h

I wouldn't worry too much... I sit on between 115kph and 119kph on the Highway according to the digital speedo in my VE Calais and never have a problem.

You will always pass some people and some people will always pass you. Does it matter that much?

Or look at it another way... Are you taking any longer getting where you were going in your VE compared to your VZ?

edit: why is this thread even under this topic?

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have done a similar thing. MY VYII was bang on most of the time and occasionally it was 1 km/h out which could have been a vagerie in the GPS positioning as it is not 100% accurate either. My VE reads around 4km/h fast at all speeds above 80. Ie TomTom says 100 and the VE reads 104.

I usually sit on 108 (by the speedo) on the freeway and have never had an issue with any camera. 108 = 104 (Actual) - 3 (camera tolerance) = 101 detected which is won't incur a fine (don't quote me on this!).

Reaper

efryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 3.6 Auto
I agree, I have done similar even going past the guys with the Handheld radar, and they don't budge...

Its just bit of a pain, as I prefer to stick on the speed limit, and visually see what I am on. Not sure what the driving is like in the ACT, but in Sydney peak hour, you run slower than the speed limit, you risk someone pushing you up the rear....And I drive a lot in my work.....

It is also part of the reason for needing an accurate speedo, I need my licence, my work depends on it.

Just shame they seem to change how it works in the VE as compared to previous models.

Bob

NeilF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V
Taking this one step further, does this mean the odometer clocks up more Kms than the vehicle has actually done or if driving a 100+ Km/hr maybe it clocks up less Kms ? Will this also give a false economy reading ?

Regards
Neil

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
A GPS isnt 100% accurate,also car makers build in a margin in the speedo to show a higher reading on your speedo compared to your ground speed to avoid problems with people being booked.:)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
A GPS isnt 100% accurate,also car makers build in a margin in the speedo to show a higher reading on your speedo compared to your ground speed to avoid problems with people being booked.:)

Exactly. In the latest Wheels mag the SS showed 100 on the speedo but was really doing 97km/h.

Its competition, the new WRX... Showed 100 on the speedo but was really doing 94km/h.

Generally all new cars are around 97km/h when they show 100 on the speedo just to be on the safe side (as people would not be happy if it was over the actual speed and people were being booked).

It also allows leeway for different tyre and rim setups. Don't forget the VE goes from 16" rims all the way up to 20" rims on the HSV's and the tyre and rim sizes have an impact on the speedo so at the end of the day, different models will have different accuracy.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

lol what the? A GPS is more accurate than any car speedometer, even more accurate than most police speed detection equipment. How can it NOT be accurate?

I thought under new ADR's that car manufacturers MUST NOT allow a speedometer to read at a slower speed than posted?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Don't waste your time arguing with Holden re the accuracy of your speedo or fuel gauge.
Holden specification for the speedo is 60 -0 /+2 km/h
100 -0 /+2 km/h
160 -0 /+3 km/h

At the above speeds acceptable readings on Speedometer are:

60 - 62 km/h
100 - 102 km/h
160 - 163 km/h

In Police Mode the allowable speedometer error is +/- 1 km/h at all speeds.

If you complain to Holden all they will do is check that the relevant and current version of software is installed in your car. They will then tell you that your vehicle's performance is within factory specification.

Good luck to you if you can do any better than that. If so please let the rest of us know the outcome.