Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it legal?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi all,
Just wondering.. I cant get a definate answer.

I own a VS sedan but I want to take my back seats out. Would this be legal? Reason for taking back seats out is cause I don't like taking people XD and the main reason is, Its on gas so I got a gas tank in the boot (obvious) but I've got my sub also in the boot. So I was thinking of taking the back seats out and make a panel to put my sub and amps onto (bolt down so no one can knick it). Would this be street legal? It's a day to day car.

Another question bout illegal, are neons illegal? undercar neons? because they sell them at alberts, jb hi and etc but can you actually have them on? (this is no way for my VS XD before I get flamed lol)

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, if so please delete.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
On being pulled over by the coppers they will defect you for not having seats in the car - in QLD the 4WD'ers were being made to put the dicky seats back in their trucks.

Neon are only legal for cars on display - and cant be used while the car is being driven.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's legal in Victoria and I guess other states to remove all the seats apart from the drivers if you go to vicroads and change the amount of passengers the car can carry to whatever seats you have left. It's the same as changing the paint colour and you can change it back later. Easy way to drop 40-50 kgs too :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
On being pulled over by the coppers they will defect you for not having seats in the car - in QLD the 4WD'ers were being made to put the dicky seats back in their trucks.

Neon are only legal for cars on display - and cant be used while the car is being driven.

Regarding neon's it all depends on the states, done correctly you CAN legally drive with them on. Why you would bother with them I do not know.

If i do remember correctly actually no states have local legislation on them over riding the ADR's.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
if you have neons on the outside of the car, and switched on whilst driving youll get a defect/fine, not that i know from experience as neons are for cars with nismos stickers : )

Basically if any mod put on your car blocks/distracts/blinds a drivers of a car then its illegal.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
if you have neons on the outside of the car, and switched on whilst driving youll get a defect/fine, not that i know from experience as neons are for cars with nismos stickers : )

Basically if any mod put on your car blocks/distracts/blinds a drivers of a car then its illegal.
Wow how wrong can one man be?
You can legally drive with them on provided they are firmly secured, the actual fitting is not visable and they are not red or blue so as to not be confused with emergency vehicles.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
if you dont like having people in the back, just tamper with the locks on the back, and fill your backseat with old clothes/rubbish. i know what you mean though. im sick of people trying to jump in my car when i dont want them there

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
if you dont like having people in the back, just tamper with the locks on the back, and fill your backseat with old clothes/rubbish. i know what you mean though. im sick of people trying to jump in my car when i dont want them there

Pretty gay you have to make an excuse to keep people out. Just say GTF out of my car!

OT i dont know why you would want neons in the first place.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I think Neons should be banned on Commodores:p. On talk back radio with Mr copper answering questions not so long ago - neons are a "come defect" me alert for patrolling cars. Are they leagal? well almost not in his words. To have blue or red was only good for cars in shows.... NOT for driving.

And as for the seats - Thats what they were doing in QLD - looking for compliance so if it had 7 seats on the compliance plate thats how many seats you had to have.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
ah k. I didnt want neons on my commodore. But I do occasionally see people driving with them on and didn't know what the deal was. I've only seen 1 commodore with a neon, it was a VT which had pink inserts on the exterior of the door and pink neon (chick driver). Is there a site for WA which I can look at for the seats question. I wouldnt even know what it would be under, I've tried searching it before.