Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air horns

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
:bow: Can someone tell me whether there's much in putting a set of air horns in an VS ute, (do I have to pull the dash out?, and ifso, how????{I've had nothing but trouble with the original horn in that one minute it works, then it doesn't?, I've put a new one in but it to only works sometimes so I thought I'd go with airhorns as a filler???}:D:yeah: Cheer's Ian:wax:

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
its only a basic wireing job. -ve wire to a good earthing point. then the +ve wire goes into a switch(generally a push button) then to a +ve source. i usually use a wire in the fuse box so a fuse is already in the circuit.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
:bow: Can someone tell me whether there's much in putting a set of air horns in an VS ute, (do I have to pull the dash out?, and ifso, how????{I've had nothing but trouble with the original horn in that one minute it works, then it doesn't?, I've put a new one in but it to only works sometimes so I thought I'd go with airhorns as a filler???}:D:yeah: Cheer's Ian:wax:
Since you have replaced the horn and it still doesn't work sometimes I would suggest the problem is at the hornpad or clockspring.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
.... or maybe the relay - weak coil or burnt contacts ....

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Be careful with the wiring as I think (THINK) that the VE like VZ is Negative Earth. You will have to re-think the wiring to and from the relay.

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
Tell me more about the coil & contacts?, I had a bloke at Utratune tell me my coil was not well?, not that him saying this means anything but now that you've also thrown it into the mix I'm starting to wonder???

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
There worth bugger all, just by a new one and replace it, you cant repair them. Or swap it with another one to see if your horn works with another relay.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Sorry Mate, I'm talking about the "coil" inside the relay. I'm pretty sure any Ultra Tune bloke would have been taking about your ignition coil.

See, a relay has a coil in it - that's how it works. A relatively small amount of current flows through the coil in the relay, and the electromagnetic effect pulls on an armature - attached to the armature are contacts which can handle MUCH more current. That way you can use a switch that has a low current rating to control a load with a very high one.

I'm pretty sure you'll find your horn relay under a cover on the drivers side under-bonnet, forward of the wheel arch. It just unplugs, and a replacement isn't expensive even if it doesn't help. Or if one of your mates has a similar car, try his relay - if that works, then you know! :thumbsup:

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
piece of cake!!!!
fitted airhorns under the hood with an relay (fused from the battery to the 30 pin) but instead of earthing the relay (pin 86 or 87 me tinks see diagram on relay) i hooked it up to the wire (from the factory horn)that is the earth wire through the horn button on the steeringwheel.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Sorry Mate, I'm talking about the "coil" inside the relay. I'm pretty sure any Ultra Tune bloke would have been taking about your ignition coil.

See, a relay has a coil in it - that's how it works. A relatively small amount of current flows through the coil in the relay, and the electromagnetic effect pulls on an armature - attached to the armature are contacts which can handle MUCH more current. That way you can use a switch that has a low current rating to control a load with a very high one.

:
its only a matter of language, but to speak in terms that wont confuse anyone, refer to the coil in the relay as a solenoid.
In combination with the iron core that goes through the centre of the solenoid, this then is known as an electromagnet.
Older oil filled ignition "coils" with their primary and secondary coils wound in solenoid fashion could also be obviously referred to as solenoids, but no one in the motor trade does.

Last edited: