Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

paint protection

forbidenss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
i have a 08 VE SS PHANTOM BLACK ... i am starting to notice fine swirls of scratches all over the paint work , i am using the mothers brand car wash .. does any one else have this problem with the paint .. does any one have the holden paint protection. is it worth doing

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
I had paint protection done by the dealer, let me just say that it's not worth it! It cost me $1700 for a 5 way protection system (interior, exterior, wheels etc) and window tint. I regret letting them talk me into it! Biggest waste of money in my opinion. The paint still looks and marks the same as my dads SSV without the protection.

Don't waste your money getting the dealer to do it. You could probably get the same thing done for less than half the price elsewhere. And it would probably be a better product.

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
i got paint protection on my VZ definately a big waste of money already gettin faded spots on rear doors

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
paint protection should be called paint destruction

its crappy polishing and waxing products used by the bums at the dealership who couldn't give a rats arse about what they do to your paint. usually adds swirl marks and imperfections rather than protecting anything.

best advice would be to laugh at the dealer when they offer it, and get it done by a reputable detailer after you pick up the car.

fwiw i'm taking my car to melbourne to get detailed properly. afaik that's where the best detailer in the country is.

forbidenss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
Cheers for that .. Black is a real prick for keepin clean ..

TJT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V Ute
I have the paint protection on my VE SSV but I only bought it because it was in a package with tint and the alarm as a bonus, cost me what the alarm and tint would have alone so no probs for me. Haven't noticed any swirls etc but it's Nitrate so would be hard to see :)

Feel your pain on the black though, we have a black VE SS here at home and it's impossible to keep clean. I wanted that colour till that was home for a week, then thought nah too much work and went silver.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I have the paint protection on my VE SSV but I only bought it because it was in a package with tint and the alarm as a bonus, cost me what the alarm and tint would have alone so no probs for me. Haven't noticed any swirls etc but it's Nitrate so would be hard to see :)

Feel your pain on the black though, we have a black VE SS here at home and it's impossible to keep clean. I wanted that colour till that was home for a week, then thought nah too much work and went silver.

an alarm should have been standard on a ssv, cause its standard on my executive vz wagon

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
an alarm should have been standard on a ssv, cause its standard on my executive vz wagon

Maybe he means the alarm upgrade? Which in my opinion is a waste of money as well. I also had this alarm upgrade added, cost 600buks and it does nothing! All it is is a couple of movement sensors on the inside of the A pillars (they go in where most of you have those little rectangle covers in your A pillars) and a siren as well as the horn. Wow my money well spent!...NOT!!!

This alarm upgrade and 5-way protection system was the biggest waste of over 2 grand!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
i have a 08 VE SS PHANTOM BLACK ... i am starting to notice fine swirls of scratches all over the paint work , i am using the mothers brand car wash .. does any one else have this problem with the paint .. does any one have the holden paint protection. is it worth doing

Welcome to the world of owning a black car. Dark colours like reds, blues and blacks ALL show up swirls. It's hard to avoid and paint protection will not prevent this. All paint protection does is prevent fallout like acidic bird dropping and tree sap from eating through the paintwork until you have to to wash it off. You'll also find that most paint protection warranty will be void unless you reapply every 12 months.

It's near impossible to avoid swirls but to minimise them use a dedicated washmit. Like Meguiars lamswool mit or even the microfibre 'noodle' sponges. The old fashioned foam sponges are a massive no no. Thats your biggest problem. Also wash in straight lines not in circular motions and don't scrub. Just let it glide across the surface. As far as what wash to use, use anything with a high lubricity or what feels slippery. Meguiars soft wash (pink stuff) or MEguiars NXT wash (purple stuff) is what I prefer but the Mothers stuff should be fine. Don't use dish washing detergent. Before I forget don't wash the car when the surface is hot. The water will evaporate before you can rinse the soap of and what you'll be left with is the minerals in the water which can eat through paint. Commonly known as 'water spotting'. In summer wash in the later afternoon or very early in the morning.

When drying don't use a chamois. Buy yourself some microfibre cloths and and a spray detailer. I use the 2L bottle of Meguiars Waterless wash which is actually rebottled Meguiars 'last touch' from their detailer range of products. Has a high level of lubricity.

Finally instead of paying $1500 for some dealer to apply protection, buy yourself some good quality wax/sealant. Meguiars Hi Tech Yellow wax is great on black. Adds a lot of depth. Then each time after you wash use a spray on wax to boost the protection. Duragloss Aquawax is fantastic but can only be bought online. Remember that what it looks like all depend on the time you take to prep the paint work. That includes washing, claybar, buffing out swirls etc, then applying your polishes and waxes/sealants. There is a detailing sticky in the Genral section. I've made a number of posts in the last few pages you may find useful.

By the way, where are you located?

forbidenss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
Thanks for that .. ive gone from a blue VT , which was really easy to keep clean..to a black VE not so easy to keep clean .. Im in perth ..