Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fix Your Broken Odometer

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Able in Queensland mail out the part pretty quickly, just call them.

There was talk about Ford selling the same part. It looks like it was a common part in a number of cars around that era that used VDO instruments. In fact I changed the same part in a 1991 N14 Pulsar not too long ago.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
yeh ford sells them but holden dont (in my town) but yeh kinnda sad me and me dad going into ford to buy a cog for a vn speedo and holen dont sell them for the cars they sold! lol

infact i ahd to replace mine the otehr day as it decided to stop....found teh cog missing 1 tooth but what got me was the cog was soooooooooooo soft i could just flaten the cogs with the slightes pressure

jgrock2020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN commodore
great post turbo XS(Pete) ,one Question= when it comes time to get car inspected for rego ,could the mechanic fail the car for having a non working odometer?
otherwise a very good and pratical post that I can follow
cheers

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
great post turbo XS(Pete) ,one Question= when it comes time to get car inspected for rego ,could the mechanic fail the car for having a non working odometer?
otherwise a very good and pratical post that I can follow
cheers

Yep - I think it's a road worthy fail.:thumbsup:

hoxygt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III 2000 Ute
NOTE: The utes use a different gear. Its a smaller 9 (odd) mm little blue gear. Were bloody hard to find until I found this thread and had instant success with;

Able Instrument Sales & Service
6/ 10 -12 Babdoyle St Loganholme QLD 4129
(07) 3801 1232

Thanks a lot crew - champions :)

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Not sure how it would apply to a private person;

MOTOR DEALERS ACT 1974 - SECT 47A
Odometer offences
47A Odometer offences

(1) A person shall not interfere with the odometer of a motor vehicle.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units.

(1A) A person must not fit to a motor vehicle a device capable of rendering the odometer of the motor vehicle inoperative or inaccurate.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a person interferes with an odometer if the person:

(a) alters the reading on the odometer,

(b) removes or replaces the odometer, or

(c) renders the odometer inoperative or inaccurate by any means whatsoever.

(3) A person may, with the written approval of the Director-General or of a prescribed person or a person of a prescribed class or description, alter the reading on an odometer, or replace an odometer, in accordance with the terms of that approval.

(4) If in proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) it is proved that the defendant had possession of the motor vehicle and that, during the time it was in the possession of the defendant, or shortly after the time it ceased to be in the possession of the defendant, the odometer reading was less than the odometer reading at the time the defendant acquired possession of the vehicle, it shall be presumed, in the absence of proof to the contrary, that the defendant interfered with the odometer of the vehicle.

(5) In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) it shall be a defence for the defendant to prove:

(a) that the action was not taken by the defendant with the intent of enhancing the apparent value of the motor vehicle for the purpose of sale, and

(b) that the action was not taken by the defendant for any other fraudulent purpose.

spoonfork

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
I live in Sydney and ordered the part from "Able Instruments (QLD)" over the phone. It came in three days via Oz Post. I fitted it and also resoldered the Voltage regulator to fix the "sticky Fuel gauge" problem plus replaced a dead bulb for the Rear Window De-fogger indicator. So managed to sort three problems out in one hit. Really happy now!

Thankyou!

White89VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
This thread saved me alot of hassles. It should be a sticky thread listed at the start of the posts.

I tried to ger the cog from a Ford dealer but the 1st one i called could only find a 23 tooth cog for a EA not a 25 tooth that we need.

The 2nd dealer I called said that all the cogs in the speedo for the EA are no longer available from Ford.

I ended up getting the cog from Able in QLD installed it and it is all good.

The only prob I had was the plastic the motor screws into was brittle and started to break away. One of the screws would not tighten so I needed to find a longer one to solve the prob.

Awsome thread :D

vpchaser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1
Thanks for posting this one up, VP just had it's ODO die = bugga :). Looks to be a straight forward job that takes only a couple of hours.

Damn cars !!!! ;)

A ;)