Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i use Fiberglass Panels on a streeter??

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Just wanting to know if you can use fiberglass replacement panels legally on a street car? Its just i got offered a tempting front end for my charger (wich will only be a weekend car anyway) and its made all out of fiberglass ect! Normally i would assume it would be illegal but then again i see ricers getting around with carbon fiber bumpers hoods ect, also there is alot of cars with fiberglass body kits ect Anyone able to clear this up? Cheers:)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
structual panels = no
ie guards, bonnets etc

cosmetics = yes
ie bars, spoilers

they may run carbon bonnets on there cars but they are running the same deal as someone say running 19s on a exec, illegal but they still do it

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
structual panels = no
ie guards, bonnets etc

cosmetics = yes
ie bars, spoilers

they may run carbon bonnets on there cars but they are running the same deal as someone say running 19s on a exec, illegal but they still do it

aahh! Thought as much! Shame:( would love to have been able to shave some weight of the front of the charger:D But its most probably done for safety:) Also while on the same subject of legallity lol Can i use an aftermarket B&M shifter in my car? I asked on here a while ago but cannot remember:p

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
VL Berlina 5speed said:
structual panels = no
ie guards, bonnets etc

cosmetics = yes
ie bars, spoilers

Well actually.......

Carbon fiber is illegal, however fiberglass is not.... BUT it does have to follow some rules....

NUFNSUS's bonnet has been thru regency 3 times now with a fiberglass bonnet. As it retains all factory structual reinforcements Regency advised prior to fitment that it would be okay & has not had a negitive say since,

Fiberglass does not splinter in the same way as Carbon Fiber does, which is what the difference is I believe...

FusionX

Reaction score
Fiberglass does not splinter in the same way as Carbon Fiber does, which is what the difference is I believe...

Pretty close. When both are pushed to breaking, they splinter the same way, but carbon has no flex resistance, so it will break up in to pieces, where f/glass has some chance of staying together. This is why you see a lot of parts made with a carbon/aramid mix. The aramid strands take up the flex/hold together when the carbon breaks.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Pretty close. When both are pushed to breaking, they splinter the same way, but carbon has no flex resistance, so it will break up in to pieces, where f/glass has some chance of staying together. This is why you see a lot of parts made with a carbon/aramid mix. The aramid strands take up the flex/hold together when the carbon breaks.

Thanks for that. I knew there was some difference that makes CF more dangerous

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thanks everyone for the info!
I have decided to still get the bonnet & boot (if i don't get out bidded on ebay first lol) the only things i am concerned about is that i know fiberglass can distort/ripple, and the bonnet has been sitting under the garage for 10years ect The bloke has told me that its all in good nick for its age and never been used ect so i dunno yet will see:)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It depends how old your charger is and if it has to pass that ADR or not, it might be old enough to get away with it,but you will have to look that up yourself. I believe the laws only changed for bonnets post 90 something but front gaurds were ages ago

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
It depends how old your charger is and if it has to pass that ADR or not, it might be old enough to get away with it,but you will have to look that up yourself. I believe the laws only changed for bonnets post 90 something but front gaurds were ages ago

Went through one of my street machine mags & found a very nice deep purple charger in there:bow: and he has a fiberglass bonnet and it is road legal so i might be able to get away with it:)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I always thought it was ok for anything built pre 1972