Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to install high ratio roller rockers from MACE

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Finally bought some MACE 1.9 high ratio roller rockers the other day. They are very easy to install and make a HUGE difference, especially on turbo applications.
Got them for about $600 and they state on a stock motor you will see gains from 13-16kw, id say on turbo apps you'll see more like 20-22kw

Here's a step by step guide.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
-Socket Set
-Torque Wrench (absolute must)
-6mm Allen bit to fit torque wrench (must)
-6mm Allen key

1: Remove the 6 bolts from your rocker cover and take it away.

2: You will now see the stock rockers, one for exhaust and one for intake. Go through and undo the the bolts through the rocker. Try use a hex bit with only 6 faces as they grip better and also you will prob need to crack the loctite from factory.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
3: Remove the rockers and the bolts and put them down somewhere clean.

4: You should now see this:

5: You can now remove the locating plate and put it somewhere safe.

6: Next is the removal of the pushrods. These just slide out. Pretty simple.

7: Now you can start to install your new MACE ones, I like to lube them up a bit with oil, but don't think it's necessary. MACE supply longer pushrods, new rockers, new seats, locating plates and bolts. So nothing you've removed will be re-used.

One thing to make sure you have right is your new pushrod alignment. You need to make sure that it is right in the middle or it can get stuck in the valley and get wrapped around the balance shaft. But dont worry its pretty hard to do, just check them with a torch. Here is a pic down the hole for the rod.

8: Now it's time to start installing new plate, seats and rockers. This is how they go:

9: Now you need to get the pre-lube supplied and apply it to any friction surfaces to stop any ware in first few secs on engine starting. This is where I put it:

10: Now you can go through and install all of them. Just make sure that the seat is located correctly in the locating plate and also line the rocker up central to the spring. Once they are all finger tight, go through, whilst holding rocker in right position on spring and tighten them down, compressing the spring.

11: Now they're all pretty tight, come through with your torque wrench and torque to 23ft/lbs (always check with manufacturer if not told in package) also making sure the alignment is still good.

You should now see this:

You can now reinstall your rocker covers and you're good to go.

For the first second or two you will hear ticking as there is no oil up there, if it keeps going for longer than that turn the car off and double check everything. But you should be fine.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Steve, Glad to help people out. Was having trouble finding any articles on how to do this. Spool is alot quicker and I haven't even put my custom inlet manifold on.

simoVSv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Excellent writeup Carl :D

Best Regards,
Steve

Hi,
Could you tell me if there are any negatives to installing the ultra high ratio rockers instead of the high ratio rockers. I thought installing the pushrods would make it a more difficult installation but from Carl's write up that sounds easy.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi,
Could you tell me if there are any negatives to installing the ultra high ratio rockers instead of the high ratio rockers. I thought installing the pushrods would make it a more difficult installation but from Carl's write up that sounds easy.

The only negative I can think of is if you bend a pushrod (which is very unlikely) you cant just grab one from a wrecker. Other than that, i got nothing. They made a big difference to my car. And yeah if you got the right tools and some basic mechanical knowledge its quite simple. Specially helps having a writeup to refer to.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
There are none, they're a good bang for your buck mod .

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
So you just tighten them down on open valves?
How do you check the preload on the lifters?

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you just tighten them down on open valves?
How do you check the preload on the lifters?

Yeah just torqued them to spec. Not totally sure on the preload, Steve will be able to tell you about that. I just torqued and then felt that the push rod wasnt loose and also that the rocker arms couldnt be easily rotated.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
no idea of the history of your build so I will just ask.....did you run out of tunnel clearance for the 'ideal' cam? What I mean is ideally you would not use high ratio rockers if getting a new cam but put lift into the lobes to keep the top end stronger. ( I am assuming you changed the cam when you turbo'd , I do 8's so not a lot of knowledge on doing 6's).

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The problem with fitting high ratio rockers with a after market cam is that there will be to much lift which can cause damage , they work fine with the stock cam as they are a alternative to a cam which are an expensive fit .