Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stainless v Mild Exhaust Systems

C

crewiess

I am looking into a new system and wanted to hear from others about the differences between a stainless steel vs a mild steel systems. I understand that stainless tend to last longer but am hearing that stainless steel systems can sound a bit tinny. What have others found? Are there any other differences?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ive noticed that mild steel exhausts sound alot barkier and tend to crackle when given a bit of sh*t and your right it doesnt last as long as stainless, but it all depends on how you want your car to sound but i much prefer stainless to mild steel just because of the deep sound that is made

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
i have a full stainless system on mine and it certainly aint tinny!! mind you there aint much to quieten it down :w00t: .
it is more expensive but if the budget will allow it you can't go wrong. and if you are still worried about the sound go along to the shop when it is being fitted up and have a listen with a couple of different muffler/resonator combinations and keep changing them until your happy.

C

crewiess

Thanks guys. I did not mean tinny in a cheap and nasty sense - should have said they have a different sound/tone. All feedback appreciated.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
crewiess said:
I am looking into a new system and wanted to hear from others about the differences between a stainless steel vs a mild steel systems. I understand that stainless tend to last longer but am hearing that stainless steel systems can sound a bit tinny. What have others found? Are there any other differences?

Hi,

Most modern cars will have a s/s system till at least the cat from factory. As for the rest, I personally wouldn't bother.

Advantages of s/s: won't rust (as quick), it's apparantly cool to have one
Advantages of m/s: usually has a better exhaust "note", a lot cheaper, will still get good life out of it (keep it clean and try to stop dirt build up). Better thermal conductivity, slightly lighter.

Used to have a bit to do with them at a previous job and think s/s is wank value in most cases. :D

Reaper

Last edited:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
What about price comparisons compared to benefits. M/s will be fine.

And I hope not of your v8's sound tinny haha

Uncle.H

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Ute
My thing Had/HAs a full stain'o system on it when I got it coated pace maker headers in to 2muffs then joins to 3in all the way out.Sounds nice not to loud but give it the gas and there is no way in hell you would miss it lol.Has a nice deep bass note def not tinny by any means.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Stainless:

For those with a big fat wallet or people who show there car. Don't rust.

Mild:

Normal every day use. A lot cheaper and some would say sound throatier than stainless systems.They have a shorter life span.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Stainless aint that much more expensive. I got a quote of DiFillipo for a twin 2.5 system to suit a VT GTS, and the price was $2800 for S/S versus $2200 for M/S, so once you look at it this way thats $600 more, plus the system has 4 mufflers...........
Not to bad if you ask me..........
AirStrike :air: