Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust and LS1 edit questions

dunny

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know this has been discussed before but everyone has slightly different mods, brands etc.

I have a VX II SS Commodore auto, with about 60,000km on the clock. Now that the factory warranty has run out I thought I would make some changes.

I work as an auto elec, and fitted an exhaust myself but don't know much about LS1 performance so any help is appreciated.

I fitted a 2 1/2 inch dual stainless steel exhaust system from the cats back. The front mufflers are Mille Miglia which run to 2 seperate rear hi-tech mufflers. I drove it like this for a couple of weeks and noticed a big improvement in middle to top end power, with a good exhaust note. Just this week I fitted a set of Pacemaker Tri-Y headers and also 2 new high flow cats.

I expected a big improvement again but found that I gained only a small amount of mid and top end performance (from driving feel only, no dyno or 1/4 mile runs), nowhere near as much as the cats back install. It definitely gave it a lot better sound though. I did notice that if I flatten it at around 110km/h it pulls like a train but still lacks the low down power I would like.

I am slowly saving to do some more mods and was wondering what to do next? I was hoping for a bit more go down low, as I do a lot of stop/start driving.

I have been reading other posts and most of you guys suggest a mafless tune. What exactly is a Mafless tune? Do they remove the mass air flow meter?? Can you guys recommend some good workshops around the Sydney city areas to perform this.

Also what about the cold air intake. Would the car be starving for air now after doing the exhaust mods?? I have read about cutting the 2nd hole in the box, but for memory I think mine already has 2 holes. If I modify this is the stock filter ok or would I be better fitting a K&N filter or something?

Another mate of mine mentioned changing the diff gears from 3.07 to 3.46. I was going to get the tune done first and maybe consider the diff gears later but he is saying to do the diff gears first and the tune last as they can tune it to get best performance with the new ratio diff. Seems to make sense. Any opinions?

Basically what I want to know is what are a couple more mods I can do on the car without going all out and spending big dollars.

Any advice or help you guys can give me is much appreciated.

Thanks dunny

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
there are a lot of guys getting really good power out of pure 'bolt-on' LS1's, with the only real internal part they seem to change straight up is the valve springs. the standard springs have been known to let the valves 'wander' under high revs. food for thought i guess. you are spot on regarding the maf-less tune, i am not sure if this can only be done using an edit program, but if you want to go for a bigger inlet pipe and throttle body, that's the way to go. a replacement K&N panel filter would be worthwhile as they have proven themselves to be reliable and consistent performers. to be honest, i would stick with the bolt ons (apart from the valve springs) and an edit program......what order you do them in is up to you and your wallet

dunny

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Does the mafless tune mean that after it's done they leave the sensor off? If so how does the PCM determine fuel requirements?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
dunny, give Sams Performance a call, if your going to to do valve springs etc, may as well get cam etc done why you are at it :p

dunny

Reaction score
minux said:
dunny, give Sams Performance a call, if your going to to do valve springs etc, may as well get cam etc done why you are at it :p

Wasn't actually thinking about valve springs just yet. Was mainly looking at an edit and maybe diff ratio change, but was after opinions on edit types, costs etc.

I will give Sams a call. Do they do edits, and have they got a dyno?? What would be the best edit being an automatic and with the extractors and exhaust. I want a bit more bottom end if possible and have read that the edit will make a big difference after the exhaust? Also my cold air box already has 2 holes in it. I have read that people are fitting a monaro cai or something???

Sorry, re all the questions, just I am new to all this and want some opinions or maybe some people that can recommend something from experience.

Thanks

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
dunny said:
Wasn't actually thinking about valve springs just yet. Was mainly looking at an edit and maybe diff ratio change, but was after opinions on edit types, costs etc.

I will give Sams a call. Do they do edits, and have they got a dyno?? What would be the best edit being an automatic and with the extractors and exhaust. I want a bit more bottom end if possible and have read that the edit will make a big difference after the exhaust? Also my cold air box already has 2 holes in it. I have read that people are fitting a monaro cai or something???

Sorry, re all the questions, just I am new to all this and want some opinions or maybe some people that can recommend something from experience.

Thanks
Go and see Sonny at Marranos Enhancement Division ONE of the Best tuners in the country.
he has a Dyno and everything else you need not only that he will provide you with Great service and will be a customer forever. :thumbsup:
i would reccomend a Mafless Tune , and a set of 3.73 diff gears ( 3.46 are not enough ) and that should see you with 220-240rwkw and close to a 12 second Bolt on LS1 :thumbsup:

call sonny on (02) 97445 355 he is back on the 3rd

dunny

Reaction score
OLS108 said:
Go and see Sonny at Marranos Enhancement Division ONE of the Best tuners in the country.
he has a Dyno and everything else you need not only that he will provide you with Great service and will be a customer forever. :thumbsup:
i would reccomend a Mafless Tune , and a set of 3.73 diff gears ( 3.46 are not enough ) and that should see you with 220-240rwkw and close to a 12 second Bolt on LS1 :thumbsup:

call sonny on (02) 97445 355 he is back on the 3rd

This sounds exactly what I am looking for. I will give him a call in the new year and have a chat.

Thanks OLS108 for your opinion.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
dunny said:
Excellent reading. Good how they tested each mod at a time.

Thanks limited cv8r for the link. Have printed a copy for future reference.
better then that , we are lucky enough to have the Man who Wrote that as a member here on JC :thumbsup: Username Delco , so if your lucky enough to read some of his posts then take it all in cause he is a Maser of Ls1's :D