Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust question

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
ok im looking at doing my exhaust system up since the hsv one is too quite and probably not the best one to have, came with the car when bought it.

well im going to leave the hsv extractors on at the moment since they are fine. at least i have extractors on.

i just went to a guy that ive used before when i had my old ford to get the exhaust, thinking he would give me a good price because ive dealt with him a bit

he comes and tells me its going to cost me 1200 from the cats down for a duel 2 and a half inch system new everything including tips. does this price seem ok or does it sound way to much, im thinking thats alot of money just for that, would expect it to include extractors for that price.

its like 600 for the cats and 600 for the exhaust system pretty much.

tried works join they use but the guy isnt open must be racing weekend.

any places you guys know that i can check out please let me know

thanks

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
cats are approx 300 each, so there is 600 gone, then u need another 2 mufflers for the intermediate section, a x-pipe and also a rear resi, and piping, and of coarse labour. so 1200 is realistic.

how ever u dont really need the high flow cats at your stage. use your original cats, get them to cut the ends of the original cats and weld on 2.5" pipes.

Your original cats will flow ample, u wont max out the flow of the cat convertor.

Hope this info helps u out.

expect to pay somewhere approx $800 for the whole job.

Extractors are worth approx 800 for a decent set.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh 1200 is bout right, i got a few quotes for cat back on my vyss and they were all round the 1200-1500, average was bout 1300 though. yeh all the quotes i got on extracters were bout 850-1050 fitted depending on what brand i went for.

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
got another price last weekend and it for $900 i can get cats with 2 and a half inch system on the back

vzh00n

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive 04
540 i got mine for :)

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
100cpi cats on ebay are $190 each
and X force cat back $400
or DF cat back $750

Banga12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
hey i was wondering want to put a 2.5" exhaust system in my vz executive, but a guy told me it would just scream and sound ****, but im looking for a more beefy sound, do u think it would be better to take the back muffler off and fill it in with 2.5" pipe?

what would you guys recommened?

thanks

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
hey mate, ^^ Id recommend not touching it at all. Or if you do, go a quiet one. A loud v6 sounds droney, and ****.

ID suggest a single 2.25", highflow cat and extractors. That will probably give you the best balance of high and low end power

troytroy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
YII Clubsport R8
hey mate, ^^ Id recommend not touching it at all. Or if you do, go a quiet one. A loud v6 sounds droney, and ****.

ID suggest a single 2.25", highflow cat and extractors. That will probably give you the best balance of high and low end power

Concur above - 6's a sound droney with most aftermarket catbacks.

troytroy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
YII Clubsport R8
100cpi cats on ebay are $190 each
and X force cat back $400
or DF cat back $750

AS ABOVE - perfect exhibit of shopping around and not settling for the first price on your local exhaust shop. Bargain - especially if you can fit it yourself or have a mate that can. If you live in the country or there is not a lot of local competition in exhaust shops - unfortunatley you may end up paying as, ENHANCED said above - up to $800 at an exahust place

Just get a catback - it should cost around 500-600 ( at an exhaust place - ring around) for mild steel and more for stainless steel - which is probably not required unless you intend owning your car forever. - Hell if it rusts out in ten years, buy another bloody Mild steel one!

Cats can get expensive and are the second most expensive part of the exhaust (for decent ones - you wouldn't change them if they weren't 200cpsi or 100cpsi). Sureflow exhaust does quality 100cpsi Ballistic cats. I think the $600 mark for the pair or less is what I paid.

You can go the eBay ones if you want to have a crack at them and you're tight on cash. Just make saure they are stainless internals and not ceramic...and the core is internally spot welded so they don't fold in on themselves like some cheaper ones have.

However as said above doing the cats means your getting pretty serious and are not ordinarily required and wont pose a meaningful restriction at the bolt on stage. Although the sound you get from them is awesome.

Moral of the story - get a mild steel Xforce etc catback from eBay and you'll get a bargain. that should keep you happy. If you want more noise like I did - I ended up getting two hotdogs put in instead of the rear Resonator - or if you really want it loud - go a twin 3" mild steel for a little extra off eBay. Although it wont be very Cop friendly