Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick Oil Question

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
Gday guys,
my car needs an oil top up since its cam change (small leak i think). Im pretty sure ive had Martini Oil chucked in but have some Castrol GTX 2 20w 50 at home. If i put the castrol in as a top up for now is this fine? or whould you guys not recomened it. Im just trying to see how much oil i leak or burn grrr. cheers guys.

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
Why not go back to the people who fitted the cam and ask them why it is leaking or burning oil since the cam change? Or at least see if they can spot the problem seems fair you payed with your hard earned dollars and they should be giving you follow up sevice!
Just my thoughts.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
to be honest mate its been leaking for a while now, well before the cam change, but im just trying to diagnose it atm. I really hope its not burning oil . The car blows zero smoke and performance is still fantastic. If it was burning oil it would blow black smoke wouldnt it?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
no black smoke is running rich, like you see on all the jap turbo cars running rich and cars not burning fuel properly.

a bluey/grey smoke is burning oil. maybe get someone to check the exhaust on start up or they start it and you stand at the back when they start it and check, only has to be a tiny bit not nesesarily a big cloud of smoke.

wash the suspected area down so its completely clean and dry, run it for a bit and watch with a flash light/torch so you can see where the drip comes from, were you see it coming from thats your area and check a bove it just incase as oil will leak down the engine, hope that helps a bit too to diagnose it a little bit easier.

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
some LS1's were notorious for using/burnimg oil and you would not even see the blue smoke. Holden fixed them with different pistons and rings.

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
checked for smoke today and there was none at all which seems to be good? I think im might drop it off to see where this leak is as i have no idea.

Hi mate, have you got it fixed, If not try parking on top of a big sheet of clean cardboard and see if and where the leak is comming from. :thumbsup:

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
Hi mate, have you got it fixed, If not try parking on top of a big sheet of clean cardboard and see if and where the leak is comming from. :thumbsup:

hasnt been fixed yet mate but its comming from the back of the engine. Guessing rear main seal. just gotta save a bit to fix it now.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
replace the sump gasket and rear rear main seal at the same time... usualy its the sump gasket that leaks on gen3's