Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noisey vx brakes

off_tap_vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
about a month ago i bought a vx berlina for my missus. When i took it for a test drive i noticed the brakes were squeeky so when i got back i asked why and he said they are brand new so i assumed that they were just not bedded in yet. now they are worse than ever and the front rotors are warped bad and the rear passanger wheel sounds like the pads are touching constantly. i have looked and they are new pads.
Could they just be poxy cheap ones??
Also would it be best to go after market for the front rotors to stop the warping? i know my old mans vt had that problem bad.
cheers.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Yep sounds like crap pads.
Did they machine the rotors when they changed the pads?

Squeeling just means theres a glaze on the disks/pads caused by A. heat or B. Crap pads.

The warped disks will create a shudder when you brake.

off_tap_vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
yeah cool, i would assume the discs were machined. Would after market rotors eliminate the shudder completely for good? she just drives it to work and she dosen't drive it hard to really need upgraded brakes, i just dont wanna put standards back on and have the shudder come back later down the track.

off_tap_vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
also there is way excessive brake dust on the mags even after like 2 days after being cleaned

Packdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim II
Brake dust is probably just that the pads are soft, not much you can do but put harder wearing pads on.

My stock rotors have the same issue, but don't assume that they were machined with the change of pads - probably not! I had mine machined at it was about $60 a corner i think, so $240 extra when changing pads is probably not what the seller would have wanted to fork out.

I'd say get some better rotors, DBAs maybe

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Brake dust is probably just that the pads are soft, not much you can do but put harder wearing pads on.

My stock rotors have the same issue, but don't assume that they were machined with the change of pads - probably not! I had mine machined at it was about $60 a corner i think, so $240 extra when changing pads is probably not what the seller would have wanted to fork out.

I'd say get some better rotors, DBAs maybe

That price for machining,
you would have been better off purchasing new rotors.:banstick:

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Yep sounds like crap pads.
Did they machine the rotors when they changed the pads?

Squeeling just means theres a glaze on the disks/pads caused by A. heat or B. Crap pads.

The warped disks will create a shudder when you brake.

Believe it or not, brake squeel is produced from the pad vibrating against the caliper piston or caliper outer fingers. That is why some manufacturers have a thin metal plate between the pads and caliper to try and address squeel (anti-squeal plates).
I'm sorry to say that Commodore brakes are a pain in the A$$! They eat discs, shudder, high spot and as you know, squeal.
I've tried 3 aftermarket disc brands, about 7 different pad brands in various compounds, DBA anti-squeal compound (which sticks the piston/caliper surface to the back of pads) with limited success. I think the brakes are just too small for the size/weight of the car they are trying to stop and get tired of being abussed. This is not the drivers intention, it just happens from normal use. The brakes work OK, but at the sacrifice of the material.

The best lasting disc and pad combo I have found so far is from genuine discs and DBA premium Ti stipe pads. They do squeal a little but acceptable.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Squeal is most oftena vibe problem. Shims are REQUIRED between pad and piston. Not optional. Thumpin is absolutley right.

I have had success with aftermarket slotted rotors from GSL and the police spec HPX pads. The slotted rotors a forever de glazing the pads, so squeal is less and brake bite is more. Pedal feel still sucks though, because of Holdens cheap design - 1 large piston. The GSL VE rotor kit looks the goods as it uses 2 pistons, which will provide a more even clamping pressure and better pad feel. There about $900 a set for cross drilled version, so they are on my shopping list.

I do recommend slotted / vented rotors, as it limits high spotting and keeps them cooler, so they don't warp as easy.