Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ a bit too helpful?

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I was in the Mcdonalds drive thru the other day, and I mute the sound from the wheel and give my order to the talk box. I drive to the window and pay for my meal. I go to put my wallet in the small space in front of the gear stick and the music comes back on!

This has happened twice before as I put things in that compartment. I don't bump any buttons as I move my hand in there. I'm thinking there must be a sensor to unmute the sound as you put your phone back. Is this true?

vy1sv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
Thats the weirdest thing ive heard of in a long time, let us know when you find out what it is! Never heard of a sensor being there, be weird if there was... maybe your just even slightly touching the volume button? Or one of the buttons is so close/tight fitting that when you put your wallet back, the plastic moving ever so slightly sometimes is pressing a button somewhere?

D_BLOCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VF SS UTE
Nah havent had that happen yet, its not a dodgy battery losing your utes settings perhaps ? Is it the same time frame that the sound comes back? Maybe even a loose wire in the wheel controls, mine stays on till I re-engage the mute button.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
It's really strange, but It's there. I try testing it sometimes but It knows somehow.

But if its not a feature that's meant to be there, I can't put my finger on it.

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
This may sound wierd, but when this happens are you and the vehicle in somewhat the same location? (ie near the same servo, maccas, street as last time?)

I can't quite remember, but I'm pretty sure radio buttons run off frequency on vz/vy's. It may sound odd, but if they do maybe your phone is trying to connect to a signal tower right at that moment, causing a strong frequency to be sent out and the radio is just picking it up.

Sounds wierd I know, but I had a vehicle (for memory a pergout 206) about 4 years ago, and it had a fault where the vehicle would randomly cut out, and it mainly happened at her house, which several annoying hours later we figured out that the immobilizer frequency continued to search for signals even after it had been disabled by the remote. She lived near a cell tower that sent and recieved frequency signals, which happened to activate her immobilzer, shutting down the engine.

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
Although now that I think about it more, that wouldn't explain why it happens as soon as the phone goes into the pouch section, I'm still leaning towards an internal issue in the radio caused by close proximity vibrations.