Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way to go about making my 6 SOUND like an 8

6 shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Executive S2/ Kawasaki zxr250
1st thing debadge it so its a bit more deceiving and i put pacemaker headers with a di fillipo stainless exhaust twin 2.5-single 3" and i had people asking if its a v8. Id say though if you knew the difference you could tell because i still reckon it sounds like a 6 at high revs (Dont know if the internal mods helped too)

OnlyDriveHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 Vn Commodore (V6)
I have a 1991 v6 VN commodore stock how do i make it sound close as i can to a v8 ?

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
put a 2.5" exhaust on it. it wont sound like a v8. but itll be louder

now enough of this thread

VL-VP-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Statesman GEN III
I had a stock VT V6, I put an exhaust on it. it was straight through 2.5" pipe from the cat back, with a 1 into 2 pipe rear resonator (not sure of the brand/make of the resonator).
I now own a GEN III V8 with a readback twin 2.5" system and sounds very similar to what my V6 sounded like...

for a V6 the VT sounded really good, or so I thought, but I hate the sound of my GEN III.. I blame the balance pipes for making the V8 sound like a six..

you could always have your centre muffler removed / replaced with a straight through piece of pipe. and see how it sounds, I wouldn't recommend removing the rear resonator, although I did that on my VP V6 when I had it, sounded ok, but you get a whistle on hard accelleration, and a bit of a drone..

anything that you do, your not going to make a 6 sound like an 8... only thing thats happening ( IMO ) these days is that people are making there V8's sound like a 6. therefor your task is slightly easier to fool someone of what engine you have..
if you hear a commodore ( V6 ) that you like the sound of, and have the chance to ask them what exhaust they have go for it and ask

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
tip for anyone is if you want your car to sound like a v8 then you should have got a v8, if you have bought a v6 then try and make a good sounding v6 rather then a 'attempting to sound like a v8'