Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manifold gasket is this normal

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
This can not be normal this is a 5L stroked by Pavtek ,the water ports look to be factory and untouched and I have purchased 4 sets of dam gaskets 2 steel and 2 paper and they are all the same !!! The gasket is about 0.3 of a mm from the bottom side of the middle water port and leaks every time !!!! What is the go ???

U can see here I have gasket on with bolts to hold it in place I then marked under it with pen
22kIv

U can see here the line is nearly touching the water port and there I no way it will seal
22kIS

22kJc

What is the go ??? Pavtek even sent me one of these gaskets with the motor do u use silicon on something ???

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
gasket on wrong side or back to front?

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Nope it can not go on up side down as the bolt pattern won't work near the water ports at the ends ,and locating pin ,and doesn't matter witch side both gaskets are identical and does not change the height of it near that water port

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Sorry, maybe I'm not quite with it, but is that middle port supposed to be a dead port like the ones left and right of the centre or is it supposed to flow coolant?

I know the earlier carby heads don't have coolant passage there and I have no PFI heads here to check sorry.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Yeh it dead !!! All 3 are dead and so is the one at the back of heads !!! Is there ment to be some sort of a block of thing there ??? There has to be its the only way

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I'm confused, you say it's leaking from the centre coolant port, but there is no centre coolant port, only one at the front and rear?

Sorry for the blond moment but could you clarify on the photo where you think it's leaking?

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Wow I feel blond right now !!! Your right they don't go into water ports at all !!! Just been out having a look, I have fitted this C.O.M.E. twin throttle body manifold twice it's brad new so is the motor and twice it's leaked ,it doesn't seam to need machining when the manifold sits on the motor the bolts line up perfect and it sits in there nice but I thought it looked like it has been leaking from the back port drivers side checked with straight edges and looks good I'm using rtv sealant on water ports and where the gaskets met with cork strips, the block has been decked don't know how much !!! Think ill have another go and hope for 3 rd time lucky

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
yeah had me stumped what you were going on about too, been 20yrs since I have played with a V8 had to think a bit about it

the trick that I got told about was to put a smear of RTV around the water jacket ports on both the heads and inlet as well a good bead on the front and rear of the valley first allowing it to start to go off before doing the water jackets - not using the cork gaskets and put it all together as normal after that

Never had any water or oil leaks after using this method

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
yeah had me stumped what you were going on about too, been 20yrs since I have played with a V8 had to think a bit about it

the trick that I got told about was to put a smear of RTV around the water jacket ports on both the heads and inlet as well a good bead on the front and rear of the valley first allowing it to start to go off before doing the water jackets - not using the cork gaskets and put it all together as normal after that

Never had any water or oil leaks after using this method

Thank and thanks to vr38 as well both times I have used the cork so ill try with out and use bead of rtv instead how long do u leave it like 20 mins or so ???

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Time to get the feeler gauges out and have a very close look at the manifold (without the gaskets) to see if they are pulling up even. Do you have a micrometer to measure the crush on the gaskets top and bottom?

Last edited: