Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help installing air con compressor vt ss 5.0L

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
Anyone know if theres a "how-to" on the net/forums on installing a new air con compressor in a vt 5.0L? Id like to save some coin and install myself if possible and get shop to gas it up. It seems to be in a tricky spot and i know the gas is obviously poisonous and shouldn't be inhaled, although im quite sure all the gas a has leaked out of my current compressor due to a busted seal, hence replacement. Or should i just spend the extra coin and get a mechanic to install it.?
Cheapest quote i could get was $260 installed and gassed.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have a look at this file......

Attachments

• 5 litre air compressor Removal and Installation.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 450

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
Have a look at this file......
Hey thanks for the read. I think ill let the mechanic do this one. Once i seen bolt torque specs and belt tension specs i immediately backed off.
Cheers

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
$26O to install and regas I'd go with that, I'm going to replace ours but only while the engine is out. What a prick of a position and doing it yourself would be a lot easier if you have a vehicle hoist. Where did you buy the new compressor, we looking at a new genuine Holden compressor for $470.

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
$26O to install and regas I'd go with that, I'm going to replace ours but only while the engine is out. What a prick of a position and doing it yourself would be a lot easier if you have a vehicle hoist. Where did you buy the new compressor, we looking at a new genuine Holden compressor for $470.
I got onto a used one off ebay for $185. So im told its in fine working order. Ill find out next friday when it goes in.....fingers crossed

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
I got onto a used one off ebay for $185. So im told its in fine working order. Ill find out next friday when it goes in.....fingers crossed

did it come with a warranty? i found strangely enough some local wreckers are selling used compressors for $50 with a 90 day warranty. At least it will get you through the summer just on the warranty alone LOL. Also was told by the aircon guy the pump should run between 25-30 PSI, if its in this range when they put the gauge on u'll at least know u dont have a lazy pump on ur hands which is common apparently. He also mentioned its wise to replace the drier/filter at the same time along with all the 8 or so O rings. least that way if anything is gonna leak its only the 2nd hand compressor seals u can blame then. The evap core on these models dont seem to leak like other cars, even compared to newer models these days.

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
I l
did it come with a warranty? i found strangely enough some local wreckers are selling used compressors for $50 with a 90 day warranty. At least it will get you through the summer just on the warranty alone LOL. Also was told by the aircon guy the pump should run between 25-30 PSI, if its in this range when they put the gauge on u'll at least know u dont have a lazy pump on ur hands which is common apparently. He also mentioned its wise to replace the drier/filter at the same time along with all the 8 or so O rings. least that way if anything is gonna leak its only the 2nd hand compressor seals u can blame then. The evap core on these models dont seem to leak like other cars, even compared to newer models these days.
Ill leave it to the mechanic. He is really good and reliable so im.sure he'll take care what needs to be done. Regarding warranty, i doubt ill get any because i kind of had an argument with ebay seller as he stuffed me around with postage etc... and lied about postage dates so on so on.......i just hope it works ok, if not, my silly fault for not buying a brand new one hey.