Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore only starting after multiple attempts

Dylan13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Hi

I have a 2000 VT commodore station wagon. It will only start after about 4-5 attempts. The first couple of attempts it sounds like it ticks over and running then will suddenly cut out, the next couple is it just constantly trying to start without any success and then starting at about 5-6th attempt.. I have found it's more so in the morning when I haven't driven overnight or after long periods.. after only a couple of hours it starts generally first time. Has anyone had these issues before??

D

devilly

cheapest place to start is by adding injector cleaner and this will clean the inside of the rails and injectors. whats the service history like fuel filter,spark plugs and leads ? igiton barrel feel different at all ? mode light e.t.c.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Next time you start it in the morning, hold your foot to the floor before you turn the ignition on and keep it floored while cranking. If it starts and keeps running on the first attempt, you probably have a leaking injector causing one or more of the cylinders to be flooded. Once it starts, it may be a bit missy and shaky until the fuel clears. Also when you put your foot to the floor when cranking, it tells the ecu the engine is flooded and wont pump fuel to help it start.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
How long has it been since it had a full service? The old girls love a bit of pampering.
(plugs,leads,air,fuel filters and throttle body clean)
If she's right in that department I'd check for any leaks/splits in the engines vacuum hoses and air intake hose.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Check ECU relay. Mine was burning out and causing it to crank but not start. Sometimes it took 10 goes especially when cold.

Look at the base of the ECU pins for any burn marks. If yes, then the relay could be the issue. $25.00 for a new one.