Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How To Replace Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets VS-VY Ecotec

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
ofcourse... sorry i didn't read aussie's comment.

Is there a sure way to tell if it is indeed the LIM gasket that has failed? I have a bit of coolant puddling near the rocker cover. a bit of **** was collecting on the radiator cap seals but i did a coolant flush and it hasn't really come back. but the small puddle of coolant appears every now n then...
you can try nipping the manifold bolts up to spec worked on my sons VN...Or you can throw in some bars stop leak worked on my VR for over a year....this is the tut I used when doing my VR Replacing VN-VR Commodore Inlet Manifold Gaskets
some difference in engine layout but the basics are the same...Take your time, its actually not as daunting a task as I first thought ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If the gaskets are stuffed as per normal that nipping up the bolts won't achieve much. This is what mine looked like,
154864d1326002492-hole-timing-cover-lim-gaskets-port-matching-003.jpg

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
you can try nipping the manifold bolts up to spec worked on my sons VN...Or you can throw in some bars stop leak worked on my VR for over a year....this is the tut I used when doing my VR Replacing VN-VR Commodore Inlet Manifold Gaskets
some difference in engine layout but the basics are the same...Take your time, its actually not as daunting a task as I first thought ;)

Thanks mate, good to hear about it not being as daunting as it seems. I saw that some people suggested nipping up the bolts. I'm just worried that that will increase the pressure in the system and push more of the gasket out, creating a bigger leak. The fact that this is happening in 2016 must mean that they've been replaced before... Anyone know when the Aluminium one's came out? I don't think I've heard of any problems with them, though they could have only been out for a few years...

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II

Thanks mate, good to hear about it not being as daunting as it seems. I saw that some people suggested nipping up the bolts. I'm just worried that that will increase the pressure in the system and push more of the gasket out, creating a bigger leak.

The fact that this is happening in 2016 must mean that they've been replaced before... Anyone know when the Aluminium one's came out? I don't think I've heard of any problems with them, though they could have only been out for a few years...

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Does anyone know if the rubber seals (not the gaskets) have to go a certain way (front/back). One of them didn't feel properly seated when I did it yesterday. I also didn't realise i'd need a new gasket for the runners where the PCV valve is so I am in a bit of a tricky spot without a working car now... does anyone know what the top gasket is in this package? It seems like we only need one gasket for the runners (the bottom one)?:INLET/INTAKE PLENUM CHAMBER GASKET - HOLDEN COMMODORE V6 3.8L VU,VX,VY ECOTEC | eBay

thanks for any help!!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There were 2 different valley gaskets depending on what model. I used a late model valley gasket on a VS and it didn't fit to well either on the rear.

That link shows the 2 different styles again depending on model. The bottom one is for the VS/VT, for the later models VX/VY they moved the PCV valve breather location (in the plenum) which is the top gasket.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
There were 2 different valley gaskets depending on what model. I used a late model valley gasket on a VS and it didn't fit to well either on the rear.

That link shows the 2 different styles again depending on model. The bottom one is for the VS/VT, for the later models VX/VY they moved the PCV valve breather location (in the plenum) which is the top gasket.

thanks for your continued support!

So when you say it didn't fit too well, did it still work? And this is the rubber seals we are talking about that go at the front and back of the valley (not the gaskets over the coolant and inlet jackets)?

Also, does that mean the location of the PCV valve is accesible in the plenum? So I don't need to take apart the runners/upper inlet manifold? I only have the VT service manual, and like you say, mine is a vx.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct, they valley seals that lay between the 2 heads. Still worked ok.

No, the PCV position in the LIM is the same between the 2 models, what changes is where the breather port is in the plenum. On the early version it is right next to the number 5 intake runner which would cop the majority of the crap coming from the PCV valve. In the later model that breather location is moved to just in front of the TB so the gasses/oil coming from the PCV is distributed more evenly. Ultimately the process is identical, just the gasket between the LIM/plenum is a bit different.

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Sorry guys, how do view the pics? Thanks