Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ wagon suspension 'fix'

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Ok here's a funny one, my daily driver work car is an Executive VZ wagon. And that's great, park it anywhere in any weather, etc.

And while new shocks and bushes improved the previous wallowing ride when I first purchased it earlier this year, I'd still like to limit the body roll, ie losing all my work bags and shopping from one side to the other when driving slowly through a roundabout!

The original 15" rims have been swapped to 16" at some point, in a major performance upgrade! But that's it. I have no interest in swapping springs or anything like that. But am wondering if a stiffer sway bar will help, even with the rest of the non-performance setup. Anyone done simple mods like this on a family hack? thanks

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The only way to prevent items moving about inside the car is to secure them. Changing the suspension, sway bar or flux capacitor will not achieve your dream. It's something called inertia that causes things to slide around when cornering, braking or if sufficient power, sliding to the rear of the vehicle. Perhaps you could also modify your driving style !!
Good luck.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I get that you want to limit the roll the car has while cornering.

The inertia won't change unless we can modify the laws of physics, so that's a different forum. (Maybe a sub reddit for that?) So the shopping will still slide as mentioned.

To limit roll, you are looking at thicker sway bar and changing springs.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
No it's not, the shopping slides from the car leaning over, you can slow down enough to stop it shifting prior to that. The inertia is still there when I carve corners in my Clubsport, it just doesn't tip over. The wagon is driven like an old man, nothing to do with driving style. Wrong forum for basics, I guess.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Easiest way to fix this issue:
Put anti slip matting in the back of the wagon......Like this stuff in the pic
anti slip mat.jpg

And in reply to your parting shot...…..Just have a think about this for a moment...…
You're the one who had to ask the question on a forum and couldn't use your own brain to solve such a simple problem
No need to get all pissy when you don't like peoples suggestions

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
No it's not, the shopping slides from the car leaning over, you can slow down enough to stop it shifting prior to that. The inertia is still there when I carve corners in my Clubsport, it just doesn't tip over. The wagon is driven like an old man, nothing to do with driving style. Wrong forum for basics, I guess.

I have a similar problem because I have a sheet of ply in the rear to protect the carpet.
I use a plastic tub and place any items I think will slide, in the tub.
The tub is anchored with an octy strap to the cargo barrier and I also have the fittings clipped into the ali runners each side of the rear tray area for tying down larger items like a compressor, welder, and tools etc.
Another thing you can do is place the shopping on the floor behind the front seats, unless of course you have soooo much shopping, or passengers in the rear seats.
Even when I place tools in the rear they do not slide due to my age.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
It's called making conversation, not going off on a tangent after not reading my original question. I didn't ask for non-slip stuff, already have them since I used my ******* brain. Not pissy at all, just people still do not read and confirmed it once again.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
It's called making conversation, not going off on a tangent after not reading my original question. I didn't ask for non-slip stuff, already have them since I used my ******* brain. Not pissy at all, just people still do not read and confirmed it once again. The suggestions are totally fine, just not what I asked.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
It's called making conversation, not going off on a tangent after not reading my original question. I didn't ask for non-slip stuff, already have them since I used my ******* brain. Not pissy at all, just people still do not read and confirmed it once again.

In answer to your question, a heavier/thicker sway bar will ease the body roll, but the **** in the back will still slide around if not anchored.