Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kill switch

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I'm still not convinced :D

After reading through this post I reckon they're still called kill switches if it's at the ignition relay or fuel pump coz like if you flick them they're gonna kill the motor!
when you cut the power to the fuel pump.. the motor will still run for a little while because of the pressure left in the fuel line. so more of a slow and painful kill switch :p

Last edited:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
when you cut the power to the fuel pump.. the motor will still run for a little while because of the pressure left in the fuel line. so more of a slow and painful kill switch :p

The car will last seconds if that, certainly not enough time to get anywhere. When you rev it to get it moving you would use just about everything left in the line. There are a heap of circuits that you could tap into, but one that I like was the inhibitor switch, if its an auto. Its just a switch that stops the car being started in any gear other than neutral or park. The great thing about it is that the car is only worried when the car is starting. Once the car is running it doesnt matter what you do to the circuit.

If your after info on kill switches, go googling. There is heaps of info. All you need to do then is choose a circuit you want to disable. A wiring diagram like the ones found in a gregorys manual would be really helpful.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
an idea.. use relays and tap multiple circuits with only one switch ;) make sure you have a decent place to hide the switch tho.

a gregorys is very helpful as it has wiring diagrams. also from looking at one, the inhibitor needs to grounded in order to start and the wire was just grounded in manual models

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
I'm still not convinced :D

After reading through this post I reckon they're still called kill switches if it's at the ignition relay or fuel pump coz like if you flick them they're gonna kill the motor!

I like the reed switch idea listed above as this could even be done with a tiny reed switch that goes to a much stronger relay. You wouldn't put an ignition current through a reed switch so it is wise to be plan how you're doing it.

!
Its a matter of being particular, any device which switches fuel or ignition will also function fine as an immobiliser and kill switch unless one wants to be particularly tricky with the wiring. However, not all immobilisation devices are suitable for kill switches. ie one that controls the starter etc. Granted, switching fuel might not get an instant stop with a carby car....but fairly sure fuel pressure dies off at the injectors quickly with our comms and cams would be wanting something on the ignition too.
You might be a bit annoyed if you asked the auto elec for a kill switch((which you wanted for safety reasons) and he just wired in a switch for the starter instead..... because he thinks "immobilise" and "kill" are interchangeable.

totality

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina wagon 5.0 litre
in my old car i had a kill switch connected to the fuel pump....it was set up where you had to turn on the high beems before the fuel pump would work....
other wise the car would start but then after a minut or two it would stall......

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
Once the car is running it doesnt matter what you do to the circuit.

A wiring diagram like the ones found in a gregorys manual would be really helpful.

I always thought cars pumped fuel all the time re: above about a slow and painful death if the fuel pump is cut. So does the car only use the fuel pump circuit when it's starting then you can cut power to it and the car will keep going?

A gregories manual is fantastic but I wouldn't know that without completely tracing the relay circuits as well.

iRiot

Merc with a Mouth
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
the best placement is to the park sensor on an auto which is the gray wire under you console coming out of the t bar which will act like the car is trying to start in drive and wont *** anything like the fuel pump which you can or your engine in will just go to acc it works a treat

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I always thought cars pumped fuel all the time re: above about a slow and painful death if the fuel pump is cut. So does the car only use the fuel pump circuit when it's starting then you can cut power to it and the car will keep going?

A gregories manual is fantastic but I wouldn't know that without completely tracing the relay circuits as well.

Nah sorry mate, bit of confusion. I was refering to the inhibitor circuit. Fuel pump and most of the other critical circuits do constantly need the power to keep running.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
the best placement is to the park sensor on an auto which is the gray wire under you console coming out of the t bar which will act like the car is trying to start in drive and wont *** anything like the fuel pump which you can or your engine in will just go to acc it works a treat

if you want to use the inhibitor switch, you better tap it as far under the dash as possible. otherwise when thieves find that the car wont start and decide to steal your stereo instead, they might find it suspicious that a wires been cut and extended :p

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
Nah sorry mate, bit of confusion. I was refering to the inhibitor circuit. Fuel pump and most of the other critical circuits do constantly need the power to keep running.

cool :w00t: thanks mate!