Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

police computer problems

5ivespeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Manual
ive got a box out of a vp police car. i put the box in my vr and it had a huge power increse but would stall while moving. like it would tkae off and then lose power n get it back. and it stalled twice so i took it out. but would like to tune it but a mechanic i took it to was talking sum bullshi*t bout body control modules and didnt want to attempt. any body got any ideas??
oh and the box is out of a manual. but my vr is a manual if that makes a diff....

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
The "computer" in an exec and a bt1 is exactly the same, there is no "cop chip" what people believe to be the cop chip is actuallythe fact that you can change into 2nd gear without depressing the changer, even in a manual the chip is the same(not the same as auto but you get the picture)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the manual box (T5) from VN to VS s1 are all the same so swapping a box from a VP to VR shouldn't be any issues as long as long as the VR had a manual box to begin with

the VR's had the newer 4l60e autos which have a slightly different wiring loom and memcal to the manual VR's (but both auto's and manuals use the same ecu)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If I interpret it correctly, by "box", 5ivespeed means the ECM/computer.

Despite the similar external appearance (with manual), VP and VR use different computers and memcals. There is some degree of interchangeability but a straight swap is not likely to be on.

The anti-theft system is different, which is where the body control module comes in, and the VR fires the injectors in 2 groups of three, while VP (and VN) fires them all at once. That requires a cam sensor, which the VP computer doesn't have an input for.

Perhaps someone who has swapped the computers or memcals can post what is required?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If I interpret it correctly, by "box", 5ivespeed means the ECM/computer.

Despite the similar external appearance (with manual), VP and VR use different computers and memcals. There is some degree of interchangeability but a straight swap is not likely to be on.

The anti-theft system is different, which is where the body control module comes in, and the VR fires the injectors in 2 groups of three, while VP (and VN) fires them all at once. That requires a cam sensor, which the VP computer doesn't have an input for.

Perhaps someone who has swapped the computers or memcals can post what is required?

ahh ****, i just re-read the original post and i guess he's reffering to swapping the VP ecu (box not the transmission as i originally read) into the VR:bang: yes thats gonna cause problems as the ecu needs to communicate with the BCM.

using the VP ecu would revert the engine back to single batch fire (the injector outputs for the VN/VP comes from 2 pins off the ecu into a single circuit. i'm surprised it ran at all without the VATS talking to the BCM.

your better of getting a tune done on the VR memcal

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you mean you put the vp ecu into the vr manual car the reason it will be dying is probably the speed cut the vr speed sensor outputs a totally different ammount of pulses per kilometer the car will be thinking its going too fast stick the vr ecu back in. the vr manual is not sequential injection and doesnt have the cam position sensor either.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well the vr didnt use VATS did it?

but i wouldnt of thought you could run a vp computer in a vr, as i tried running a vn ecu just to see if it would run and didnt. (did but barely)

Last edited:

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Is anyone else gonna point out to this poor joker that the VR actually had around 5kw more (or something like that) than the VP from the factory - so apart from the fact that a VP Memcal simply wont work correctly in a VR, if you do get it to work you will most likely be losing power anyway.

vsquest

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
then what makes him think that teres a huge power increase? all of your replies point to the contrary.