Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cabinent Making

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Well, I went in for an interview on Friday morning at a cabinet making joint, Had a look around the workshop/factory and it seemed pretty interesting. I was just wondering, If I where to get this apprenticeship and then I wanted to get a second trade as a carpenter, What would be needed? I'm pretty keen on both trades.

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
theres a fair bit of difference between cabinet making and carpentry as opposed to joinery and carpentry.

joinery and cabinet making are similar, cabinet making involves use of whiteboard/mdf and occasionally timber, where as joinery (ie, stairs, windows, doors) mostly revolves around timber only, with the occasional mdf stair etc. im sure you'll know this anyways.

when i started my joinery apprenticeship i got told that its a good base to have if i wanted to get into carpentry afterwards because of the skills and knowledge you gain in the trade, but im unsure how much knowledge would be usefull as a cabinet maker going into a carpentry job.

the good thing with cabinet making as opposed to joinery and carpentry is the use of machines you will have, CNC machines, overhead routers, etc. plus the cash is awesome if its commercial work.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
see if u can find a cabinetmaker that does both. i was lucky 2 find my apprenticship that involved both but wen it came 2 the module side of things where i only did the cabinetmaking course, but i was still able 2 learn both on and off site. Im sure if u had a chat with ur employer u could work somthing out and double up on modules. really they r easy as so doubling up wouldnt b a problem as most of it would run into each other.

As said above its always handy knowing both sides specialy wen ur on site u can b more versatile and better yet better pay if u got the knowledge, then once u got those done n under ur belt then its up 2 ur employer 2 sign u off as a chippy/carpenter.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
pay for a cabinetmaker is crap
i'm a qualified cabinetmaker and only earn $33 an hour
i think carpenters are on a lot more than that
i did my apprenticeship with a shopfitting company and had a choice between a cabinetmakig or a carpentry/joinery apprenticeship
i now know which i should have chosen

vswags

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon exec S2
my brother did an apprenticeship as a cabinet maker. he now has a job as a shopfitter and earns pretty decent money. gets to do interstate jobs too which pay really well.

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
pay for a cabinetmaker is crap
i'm a qualified cabinetmaker and only earn $33 an hour
i think carpenters are on a lot more than that
i did my apprenticeship with a shopfitting company and had a choice between a cabinetmakig or a carpentry/joinery apprenticeship
i now know which i should have chosen

thats a shitload better than a domestic joinery/cabinet making. ill be on more like 21 p/hour qualified...

my brothers a qualified chippy and gets just under 1g per week. we both work for a "boss" though, that could be the difference.

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Just got a call, In for a second interview. Still not sure if I want to do it.