Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice on an abandoned car?

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
hey guys.

On the way home today I passed a VL with the front crushed in a bit, it had obviously been in an accident, but it seemed to have a fair few good parts left on it. I knocked on the door of the house it was outside and he told me it had been there for months. They found documents in the glovebox and called the owner who refused to pick it up or get it towed. And would not give any details, other than that he lived in Bardon, which is about half an hour from where the car was dumped.

It has lots of spare parts on it that would be very useful and has been used as a dumping point for some smashed beer bottles and things.

How should I contact the police or the owner of the car. Can the car just be removed if he doesnt want it and then be scraped for parts? (obviously there's legal problems there)

advice would be helpful. thanks

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
If your going to pull parts of abandoned cars. Be careful. I got knicked for it when I was a kid, no charges just a stern talking to. Its not worth the hastle.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Go talk to the police or the council. They will be able to help you out. Could offer the old owners some cash for the parts you want though? Can't hurt.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We found an abandoned VK not far from our place. The wheels were already pinched and people had jumped on the panels and made a mess of it already. Was just gonna throw some wheels on it and tow it home (still had a motor, trans and diff in it) but thought we'd do the right thing. Went to the cops and they said they knew about it and the owner didn't want it, and if we wanted it we'd have to go see the council and there was a process we had to go through to be able to get it and would take a while. Bugger that, so went home got the tow rope, and when we got back to it someone else has already towed it away, was towed to a house around the corner.

So next time, not gonna worry bout all the bullshit, will just go tow it home.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
We found an abandoned VK not far from our place. The wheels were already pinched and people had jumped on the panels and made a mess of it already. Was just gonna throw some wheels on it and tow it home (still had a motor, trans and diff in it) but thought we'd do the right thing. Went to the cops and they said they knew about it and the owner didn't want it, and if we wanted it we'd have to go see the council and there was a process we had to go through to be able to get it and would take a while. Bugger that, so went home got the tow rope, and when we got back to it someone else has already towed it away, was towed to a house around the corner.

So next time, not gonna worry bout all the bullshit, will just go tow it home.

All well and good unless by chance they do end up wanting it back and then charge you with the theft. Not likely but why bother taking the risk.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
depends what your taking mate i guess.
if your taking some big items like panels and wheels then it could get iffy.
if its something small like a wiper stalk haha just go for it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
depends what your taking mate i guess.
if your taking some big items like panels and wheels then it could get iffy.
if its something small like a wiper stalk haha just go for it.

The laws probably vary between the states, but if the last owner can be identified, then they remain the owner of the car, regardless of its condition. Helping yourself to parts without the owner's permission would be theft if you were caught. That goes for taking the whole car away too.

If the council has placed a derelict vehicle sticker on it (as happens in NSW), the owner has a limited period in which to remove the vehicle or it will be removed to a holding facility for disposal by auction, or taken directly to the tip if it's obviously worth nothing.

If you find a car that is obviously dumped and has a council sticker on it, and would like to get parts from it, you would need to get written permission from the owner, which in effect transfers the entire vehicle to you and it then becomes your responsibility to remove the whole car within the terms specified on the sticker. You can't just take the bits you want - you will be liable to remove the entire carcass.

No matter how small the part you want, don't listen to those who have said "help yourself" - it will be classed as theft, regardless of the part or its value.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Why don't you just try and get a hold of the owner.

Never hurts to ask the question of I'll get ride of your POS for free if you like.