Thanks to all the members that helped with advice and photos as I worked out taking the sump of my old VT parts car to replace the smashed one, (pictures on my other thread.) After pulling the plugs I filled the cylinders with ATF and left it for about a week. Then I set about removing the remains of the old sump and cleaning up the replacement sump and the bottom of the engine ready for the new sump. While it was off I gave all the journals a good drenching with WD40. Once I had fitted the replacement sump I put 16 litres of diesel in the engine and left it to soak for a couple of days. I used so much to ensure the level was high enough to reach the cam bearings as well. At first she didn't want to move much but with a bit of pipe on a long handle ratchet I got it to move and turned it about a quarter turn every couple of hours. After a couple of days I could turn it just with the long ratchet. After about five days I could turn it over with very little effort with the ratchet so decided to drain the sump ready for new oil and filter. This is where I learned the valuable lesson that 16 litres of diesel flows a lot faster than 4.5 litres of engine oil. I had hoped to catch the diesel using a funnel and a jerry can but it was like trying to control a fire hose and I along with everything else ended up in a diesel bath before I could get the plug back in. I ended up getting a big bucket and letting the rest shoot out into that.
After draining the engine thoroughly I fitted a new filter and filled the oil. I pulled the fuel pump relay and the ignition fuses and hooked the battery up and she cranked over easy as pie. So in went a new set of plugs and it was time for the crunch test. Relay and fuses back in, turn the key and fired up straight away! It was rough at first as oil worked its way back into all the lifters etc but in a few seconds the oil light was out and it was idling smoothly.
I though, oh no, it's all been for naught as huge clouds of smoke poured from the exhaust but soon it cleared away and I realised it was residual diesel/ATF in the exhaust system. So today it took her for her first run, 60 km return trip to town, and she ran perfectly, no smoke, no noise, no overheating, some times you can just get lucky.
Just Commodores Forum Community
It takes just a moment to join our fantastic communityRegister