Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP starting problems

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
Hi All,

I have seen a few threads about starting problems, but none exactly like mine, so here's another one for you:

Just rebuilt my 93 VP 3.8. It was off the road for months beforehand.

I have replaced:
- Fuel pump
- fuel filter
- regulator valve
- injector o-rings... all injectors firing, BUT NOT CLEANED.
- DFI module and all 3 coils
- leads
- plugs

If I leave the car sit for a while, it takes 2 or 3 goes to get it to start. Sometimes, after an overnight sit, it needs a shot of Aerostart to get it firing at all. Because of this, and also because I know it's sparking alright, I know it's fuel delivery or mixture problem until it fires. Once it fires, it runs GREAT. The rebuild was all the way down to cleaning out the hydraulic lifters, and it's got plenty of punch for a bog-standard box.

The solenoid to the fuel pump is fine. I can hear it coming up to pressure.

No error codes from diagnostics.

Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts.

Dan

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
might be worth checking the base idle out. it might just be that its far too rich (from not getting enuf air) cos the butterfly is shut too far.

pacey

I'm Back
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 2000 Commodre Exec.
M8, sounds like your having the same problem as me.

My car runs perfect when going but leaving it for a while it takes me forever to start it. Because I run both LPG and Fuel I found I have to put the fuel on neutral and wind it over for about 30 secs til it starts, when it stops I turn the fuel on and the car starts fine. I think mine has a lot to do with flooding or something.

At one stage I thought it might not have been getting fuel but I took of the hose that runs back to the tank (after the regulator) and found that the fuel is going through without a prob. Might be worth checking this out to see whether or not yours does this. If so then you could be looking at a flooding/pressure problem like myself but I'm not a mechanic so I don't know whats normal or not, the only thing is I'm yet to find the problem so if you find it let me know and I'll do the same.

cracker

Reaction score
maybe computer try and get a lend of one. umm what about ur injectors
maybe shitty earth?

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
Thanks for your suggestions.

Return line is ok though...

Dan

V

VNSV

I had the same prob a while ago i just went through the process.
Check the fuel lines are around the right way. (sounds stupid but it happens)
Fuel Air Spark
Check your leads coils and plugs for spark! (there the easiest to check)
Return comes of the valve on the side.
Check the main is pumping ok!
Then check all the vac lines that comes from the throttle body It can be more of a factor than you think.
If you still have problems then check all the wires and connections around the throttle body and then get your injectors cleaned.
If you still have troubles then your looking at a more computer or sensor problem. You may already have tried all of this but i hope it helps. :D

C

craigillz

same problem im having

hey guys im having the same problem its takes for ever to start the car i do not know why but it starts first go after sitting over nite i think its flooding or injectos need cleaning .so can anny body help me on this plz ??

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
Hi all...

Your suggestions have given me some clues to look for, but I was wondering if anybody knows if a VN computer will run a VP? I have a VN one I can try swapping with to try, and just don't want to waste my time if there are modifications etc.

Dan

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Ive put VN Series II computer into my VP. Not sure about VN series I comps.

Technically the computer itself is the same, its the Memcal (chip) thats different.

I dont see why it wont work. Same engine, same specs. Your fuel economy will go really bad though.

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
VpV6 said:
Ive put VN Series II computer into my VP. Not sure about VN series I comps.

Technically the computer itself is the same, its the Memcal (chip) thats different.

I dont see why it wont work. Same engine, same specs. Your fuel economy will go really bad though.

Well, it'll do ok for a test I suppose. If it don't improve the starting problem I'll just swap it back. Thanks for that.