Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My New Customised Speedo!

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Hi All,

Just thought I'd post a pick of what I have done to my vs level 2 cluster.
What I did was replace the 4 lights behind the speedo with blue led's. You can get these in heaps of colours and they are the same ones as your parkers. It takes seriously 5 minutes and costs about $30-$40 depending on where you go.

I think it looks awesome :w00t: , what do you guys think??

The tacho and the petrol/temp gauge don't light up as bright as the speedo, I don't think they are working properly, but i might leave it, it looks pretty cool with the speedo brighter.

Now i'm looking for any excuse to drive at night just to look at it.

Cheers,
Luke

Attachments

• Image(492).jpg
    Image(492).jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 921

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Apparently not according to the man who sold me the lights.
I can't see why it would, there are dash lights in all different colours in other stock cars.

semmi

Reaction score
yeah the only time that different coloured lights are usually illegal is when they are outside the car - that's why neons and those bonnet led's are a no-no, not that it stops a lot of ppl from having them.

i think i will have to do that with my speedo too, that looks mad!!! never been too fond of the green display in my car. the only think is will it look weird because i have a trip comp, will the 3 green screens underneath look weird if the gauges are a different colour?

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Hey Semmi,
Thanks, I am planning on doing the rest of the interior lights in blue led too, ie the heater panel etc. I have that annoying speed alert with a green screen. Aparently you can change the colour of those screens but it is quite a bit more difficult. There is a thread running about it for vx? commodores i think.
Anyway I don't think it would look too bad with the level 3 dash. The photo above really doesn't do justice to how good it looks, a really nice aqua colour (as it is the blue LED mixing with the green...= aqua if I remember from primary school...!)
Good luck, post some pics when ur done!

ntl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS 3.8L V6 Commodore
I have done the whole lot in my dash, including gear indicators, heater panel etc.. Came up good. Will post pics when i get them, i havent taken any of it as yet. There are about 25 led's all up in my dash.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
What do the red bits on the temperature, techo and fuel turn out like? blue+red = ?

semmi

Reaction score
cheers cunners3 - if i go down that parth will definitely post some pics. atm i am also renovating so i think any extra cash is gonna have to go on the house, by orders of the missus... but with any luck i might be able to get some spare change to do it. i have the climate control panel to do as well, so not sure how much luck i will have, but cross fingers...

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
adox said:
I reckon this would look great with white face.

If you get them professinally made they change the font colour on a white faced guage too blue so you dont need to change the globes.