Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Self Install Fuel pump

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well ive decided to install the fuel pump myself in my 93 vr v6 commodore
ive drained fuel, and removed the bolts holding it all together, but wen i try removeing the unit, it pushes back in :S any help wood be appreciated

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
when you are pulling assembly out twist at the same time. the assembly has a dogleg in it. it is a delicate operation. just go easy with some gentle pressure. it's like giving birth through a birth canal. (keepin it clean.)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i need to unhook the hose inside the tank if so is there an easy way to do it

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
there is nothing holding fuel pump assembly inside tank. the only way it stays in place is the 6 or so bolts that you undo where you unbolt the fuel pump assembly from the fuel tank. it will feel like it is still attached inside tank - you just have to wriggle it free.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
FXST01 said:
Example of fuel tank pump and pickup

This is the shape of what you are trying to get out of the fuel tank.

this is not wot is in my vr commodore, vrs must use a slightly dif one, there is 3 pipes coming off it that one u showd me only has 2

Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hmm has any one done it on a vr commodre, are they different to the vs calais and vp?

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
yeah me VS had 3 as well. makes it like givin birth out of ya birth canal.... very difficult to pull out.... keep up the good work... you'll get it

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I gather that the issue is with the hose and how it is connected to the pipe inside the tank?

From VR- and possibly late VP (can't remember when it changed) the return line was moved from a spigot soldered to the front of the fuel tank, where it was easily damaged, thus causing a fuel leak, to pass through the fuel sender/pump bracket. That means that to get the pump out requires an extra hose to be disconnected inside the tank.

There should be a connector which is a push fit onto the pipe with a retaining clip built into it. To release it you need to push back the two clips from inside the connector, against the pipe. Easiest way is to make a tool out of an old fork with the two inside tines bent out of the way and the two outer tines bent at 90 degrees to engage with the clips in the connector. (I hope all that makes sense).

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
ah.. thats right.. you have to disconnect that hose off the assembly... i used multigrips
clamped over it to stop it falling into tank.