Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcals

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok anyone that wants to be burning their own memcals a week from now, ask questions here.

Download this
http://www.supportfitness.com/mark/tunerpro/download/SetupTunerProFree_v400.exe

All These
ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bin_lib/1227808 5D/

This
http://www.moates.net/files/3) Binary Editor Definitions/1227808_5d version 5.ecu

This
http://www.moates.net/files/3) Binary Editor Definitions/16183082 $12 version 2d.ecu

Buy one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/29C256-Enhanced...oryZ4661QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And some good 28 pin IC sockets and a soldering iron with a pointed tip (file works)a butter knife and some solder :)

That's all you need and that's todays lesson over

R

rattattack1313

Thanx, Greenteach !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
lol then spend 3 or 4 years learning what to change

Rob

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
yeah thats all we need custom tunes by morons lol
should see some cheap commies for sale

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you don't want to learn I can't make you, It's 20 year old tech and all the tools have been made so it's pretty simple. You can make it as easy or hard as you want, if all you want is to change the spark curve for premium and a bit more juice for a night at the quarter mile or some more spark advance down low to stop your lumpy cam wobbling around, getting it running better with your breathing mods, you can learn that on the first day and that's about as far as a chip from a speed shop goes anyway.

I was hoping people would add to each others calibrations test them out in different cars and generally share information and have fun with it. Fred and myself have been swapping them around in emails for a few months, it really helps. I had quite a few flaws in my VR converted to VN chips that I hadn't noticed at all and it was wasting my time, Fred picked them up straight away. So it was cool having two sets of eyes and a different mind to look at them. Anyones welcome to any memcal I've thought up and probably Fred's too and we both have memcals that are definatly better than stock so it shouldn't take long to pick up. If you had to learn it by yourself it might take a few months but we are going to help.

Ok so if you want to ask questions regarding ONLY retro VN-VR memcals ask here if you don't want to ask, don't ask

P.S V8 guys have the most to gain doing their own memcals : )

Last edited:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
i will give advice to anyone as you know,
best advice i can offer is learn how the system works completely before trying to alter things, it will cut down on the time.

Rob

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
ha ha after it's all said and done the petrol engine is still 20yrs behind a diesel

VL400

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais - Quadcam V8, tiptronic auto, 3.9lokka
Its finally good to see a few ppl having a go at modifying and burning memcals themselves. There are many US based message boards with heaps of general information that can help for aussie ECUs, but there is nothing like advice for the real thing.

If you really want to learn what is going on to be able to make changes correctly, reading and understanding the source code is is the only way. Now if anyone has done some HC11 programming (or wants to learn) and is keen to comment the ECU code let me know, i have a few unfinished hacks (VN and VR) that when done will be made public. All the hacks re-compile into the original binary and work correctly. With that in mind it is possible to make any changes to the code you want :D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
VL 400, I've tried to dissasemble it a few times over the months but don't think I've ever got it right, what program does best the job of it. I wasn't even exactly sure which cpu it runs until now that you just told me :), that will help heaps :p!

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
I work with computers everyday, if its one thing i have learnt about technology, if it aint broke dont fix it, i will be leaving re-mapping mecals to the pro's lol

still.... the liitle geek inside me is screaming out