Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade air duct (with pics)

gaza1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VT V6 Series 2 Berlina
Hi, With rising fuel costs and the discussion about air boxes and snorkles, I have thought about what you guys have been saying and I have experimented with getting more cool air the box too.

A week ago, I first started with removing the bottom section of the box and rubberbanding the air filter to the top of the box, just to see if it made a difference. As I didn't want to cut holes in my box unless it demonstrated results.

Well, I noticed the difference with smoother running, more power and better fuel economy - when the engine is sucking cool air... after the engine bay warmed up, performance dropped, but still improved from the factory setup. (Try it yourself! Remove the bottom of the air box (3 hex head screws) and hold the air filter securely using 3 large rubber bands, let the 'head' rest in the engine bay and take it for a drive.

Anyway, today after studying under the bonnet where to put a duct and with what, I found two right angle 90mm stormwater angle bends and some length of stormwater pipe. Maybe if I ducted some positive pressure air up from the bottom of the car, it might work?

(If you really look at the snorkle that is factory fitted by Holden, when the bonnet closes, it's suprising that it sucks any air at all!)

I took the bottom box off and traced around the pipe. Using a soldering iron I cut the circle in the bottom of the air box and reinstalled - (I thought using an iron might be easier than a drill, hacksaw blade and file.) Here's a pic.
S1

After a bit of measuring and rooting around, I made up what looks like a periscope which picks up cool air from the bottom of the engine bay and takes it to the side of the box. I have put length measurements of the pipe in pencil on the pipe.(300mm & 70mm) Here's a pic. Note: I have cut off half the flange on the bottom 90 angle which makes it fit better under the car.
S2

FYI, I have a V6 Ecotec Berlina, 150K kms and there seemed to be enough room in between the radiator and engine components to mount the 90mm pipe.

I initially used some cable ties to mount the pipe but have since used some small right angle brackets that I made up out of a piece of flat steel bent in a vice. The brackets hold the pipe in the airbox. I did keep the two cable ties used at the bottom of the duct

I have also cut a small section of the bottom cowling so it doesnt obstruct the air flowing into the angle bend. Here's another pic.
S3

Here is a view looking down, the pipe is clear of all fans and hoses, I have used some silicone to seal the pipe where it enters the box.
S4

S5

S6

I reassembled the unit by putting the filter back in and the top back. Disconnected the battery for an hour (to reset the computer)
S8

Took it for a test spin and it works like a dream, providing positive pressure in the tube. The tube is steep enough not to attract water or rain up into the air box. The only thing that maybe a concern is - it was warm under the bonnet after my test drive and the storm water pipe was warm, so I dont know if it will distort the pipe (I shouldn't think so).

To finish off I just need to use a bit of black paint. It's quite discrete looking from the front of the car. All up cost me about $10. I will let you know if I have any problems.

After thought - If I had a 'rectangular down pipe -> 90mm adaptor,' on hand. It looks like this, but not attached to a house!
I could have added this to the bottom angle bend. This would provide a nice rectangular pick up and I would imagine fit nicely in the cowling slot. Probibly adds an extra 5 bucks to the cost of the project. I might go to the hardware tomorrow and see what I can do.

Last edited:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Is That Legal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW IS THAT LEGAL WHAT IF THE COPPERS open up the bonnet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i would replace it with somthing that dont stand out so much or at least make it look like it was made to be in there,,,,,,if i did that here in melb and the coppers saw it i would be off the road in a heart beat,,,,,,i hope it all workS very well for you the only thing is wow ( the cops and the road authorety) if it dont work? well do you have to replace that part you cut a hole in?.........................best of luck mate take it easy and have a good week end.............cheers

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
holly sh*t batman - thats wicked.......... saving yas pod with filter or SS induction kit ($$$$$)

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Would it make it better if you had the open bit of the tubing facing forwards. So when you drive, more air would get in the car?

Could you get your ECU retuned after to get the injectors to pump more fuel in? After all you do have more cool air present.. Just a thought..

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
He does have the open bit of the tube facing forward :bop:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
is there a black paint that you could paint it with?and it would have to be a piant that stands the heat.....it would look great if it was a nice shade of black........if i could do it so it looked like it was ment to be there it would be great......hes done a great job working it all out and posting the pics.........now if we could paint it ...it would look great,,,,now all we need is his feed back on how it all went......he prob out testing it now lol :thumbsup:

R

rattattack1313

Heat-proof paint is available in a few colors...................looks very neat.....if it was turned forwards it could suck up rocks, dirt, water, chooks, kids, small dogs.........but others have done this, and said no worries, never had a prob with getting anything in there...... :thumbsup:

gaza1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VT V6 Series 2 Berlina
Well guys, I took it for a long drive today and it performed very well - just like the test I did the week earlier, but it maintained performance due to continually sucking cool air from the bottom of the car, even when the engine warmed up (which was the draw back when just the air filter was attached sitting loose in the engine bay during the test.).

I still have not painted it yet, and I think just standard black paint will be 'heat tolerant' enough, as you can still touch the pipe and hold your hand on it, guess might be 25-30 degrees.

Yes, the bottom angle 90 degree bend is facing forward (answer to previous post) I will take another photo so it's understood clearer. I checked the box after my drive and there were no leaves, chook feathers etc! The pipe is 300mm long, in a vertical direction, works similar to the dust extractor principle I guess.

I have picked up a downpipe adaptor during my travels today, but had no time to install. Sorry, next weekend my friend!
S10
here is a pic from the front of my car. I have not painted it black yet!

Last edited: