Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roadworthy Checklist

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Does anyone have a roadworthy checklist?

I want to keep my car in such a way that no cop can defect it.. I want to get to the point where I could (but never would) greet the cops with "What's up pigs, wanna look under my bonnet? Have fun searching"..

I've thought a bit about things that cops can defect a stock car for..

Tyre Tread (1.5 mm IIRC)
Windscreen washer fluid
Hand brake clicks (I'm not sure how many clicks are required)

Is there anything else an over eager cop could find? I'm not saying a modified car. On a stock Commodore in my case..

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
They can always find something and if they can't then they can always make it up.
A flashlight slips and 'hey what do you know a broken brake light'

Plus there must be a dozen ways to interprete a heap of the laws and regulations because a lot of them are not 100% clear.

Even if you get an infringement and take it to court and win, it will still have cost you a heap of time and money.

Z

ZER0

hahahaha, im interested too! whats this about handbrake clicks? i never knew there was a requirement there

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
MOTIV8 said:
They can always find something and if they can't then they can always make it up.
A flashlight slips and 'hey what do you know a broken brake light'

Plus there must be a dozen ways to interprete a heap of the laws and regulations because a lot of them are not 100% clear.

Even if you get an infringement and take it to court and win, it will still have cost you a heap of time and money.
I'm not talking about stuff a cop can make up.. Like sure a cop can say that I had no washer fluid even if it's there..

I'm talking about stuff that an over eager, legitimate cop cant find.. Let's keep this convo above board gentlemen..

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Ive heard about the handbrake clicks thing, but this is easily floored because its different car cars have bigger/more/less teeth to click.
Make sure ALL lights work from bumper to bumper.
Make sure your spare tire is in good condition and inflated.
All your seatbelts are in correct working order.
No wobble in your seats.
Ebgine clean - no oil etc.
Washer bottle close to full
Air cleaner clean - once again no oil etc.
No rattles in your mufflers or exhaust etc.
Exhaust loudness and smoke
Nothing hanging on your review mirror ie crystal balls etc.
EVEN treadwear from side to side on the tire.
Boxed up air filter/pod - not somthing i agree with entirely, but no-ones sure.
Dash gauges working

Theres heaps of stuff, its really common sense.
Some of these arnt even defects, but are all somting a cop can pick on about and hand you a defect for - coz really, you cant argue with them, and the cops can send you in for just a cop shop inspaection because they think somthing is not right.

So dont tempt the coppers because they will get smart also.

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
The cops will just usually just check your tyres, loose battery and oil on the engine if they're giving you a once over.

But really if they want to put a work order on your car, they will. A friend of mine once got done for among other things "having a full ashtray: fire hazard".

I once pissed off one of the pit inspectors, he failed the car for everything from gears slipping to "not having speaker covers on the speaker holes in the rear parcel shelf".