Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking error codes VR/VS (Revised)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Checking your Computer for Faults (VR - VS)

1. Locate the diagnostic connector under the the steering column on the drivers side.
  2. Grab a paper clip and bridge pins number 5 & 6 'black' and 'white with black stripes' respectively on the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) connected which are located on the top row counting from the left.
  3. Jump into the drivers seat and turn the key twice (so lights are up on the instrument cluster).
  4. If you bridged out the correct wires 'Check Engine Lamp' will be flashing.
  5. The flashes are divided into 2 groups with roughly a second between each. You can read the flashes as follows:

The first series of flashes is tens, so for example lets say the first flash simply flashes once, this means the code is 10. After the pause (~1 second) a second series of flashes will appear, if this number is 2, the code it is spitting out is 12 which means everything is fine.

6. Another example just so you're sure ;)

The first series of flashes you count is 4 meaning 40, the second series of flashes is 3. Adding the 40 and the 3 will give you a code of 43 which means the Knock sensor circuit is experiencing problems.

7. Each code the computer picks up is repeated three times with ~3 second pause between, so its wise to sit there to make sure there isn't any problems it has picked up.
  8. Once you are finished turn off your ignition and remove the paper clip. It is important to note not to drive the car around while have wires are bridged as this will prevent new codes from being logged.

Any questions or queries please feel to contact me at anytime.

Checking the computer for codes is used in conjunction with the computer Fault Codes located here

Last edited by a moderator:

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Yes im dumb but i cant find the diagnostic connector under the steering column. It was prob staring right at me but a photo could be nice showing the bridging.

I took the cover off udner the steering wheel, saw fuses etc...

*shrug*

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
D/w bout taking the cover off under the steering wheel. It sits just under this. Its a black connecter bout 20 pins or so and it jus sits below the plastic cover under your steering wheel round about inline with the brake pedal.

Hopefully this helps ya out

Cheers, Jon Z

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Thanx for that, did the check and gave me code "12" so all is good.

W

wbcaprice

just wondering if this also applies to me, i have a 5.0l out of a vs senator in my ute, but am wondering about the cpu in my case? any advice would be useful

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
Ok, I'm pretty sure I've found the connector (in line with the brake pedal on my VR).. BUT, how do I know which pins are black and white... and 5 & 6 for that matter? Some seem to have a metal connector others dont. Does anyone have a pic they could post up please?

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
Is it a similar process for the VP?

vaughano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon
blitzem said:
so does this apply with the a VT?

I'm wondering this myself. Bugger taking it to Holden to read a code.

J

jpflinders

List of Codes

Is it possible to get a list of all error codes posted for VR ?? I'm having trouble with starting takes a long time to start. I had a faulty Crank Angle sensor and replaced that, what could be wrong?

Thanks For the Help :bang: