Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining

tsimira

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN V6 Executive
Just feel like boasting hehe ...First DIY job I have done on a car! (well, ok I lie I fixed the headlights and put new wipers but that doesnt count :p)

It's far from perfect but it'll do...I mashed the foam a bit as I was putting it back in but not the end of the world...better than it was lol :D

Some pics!

Original Lining (much worse than it was even last week)

1.jpg

Saggy baggy board out of the car (took some manouvering but not that hard to take out)

2.jpg

Manky yellow foam

3.jpg

Foam crumbs (note my footprint - came after I took it out btw lol)

4.jpg

Clean board!

5.jpg

New lining - not the neatest job but I rushed it

6.jpg

Fitted in the car!

7.jpg

It took me longer to do than I planned because I dicked it up yesterday - basically wasted a 1lt tin of glue because I was originally going to put glue on each side (board & underside of fabric) but didnt have enough...so had to wait until today for Bunnings to open and just painted & stuck it down as I went, probably wont hold as well but I was annoyed at myself so thought bollocks to it :p The new fabric doesnt match the visors anymore but I liked the grey more than the kakky beige. If I can be bothered I might just find some suitable light grey paint and change them. :p

It wasnt as hard as I thought getting it out, it was fiddlier than putting it back in but I guess that makes sense.

Anyway just felt like showing off lol, not that its anything special but a first is a first hehe. The real test comes next weekend when we tackle the other repairs.

:D:D:D

*edit*

Last edited:

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Very nice. Gives me hope that I might be able to do it.

Mike

W

WHATS UP

Its Happens So Much Now Adays I Just Fixed Mine And In The Last 6months Ive Helped 4 Of My Mates Fix Theres.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
that looks great, mine got replaced 7mths ago just be4 i bought my vr :( and its sagging again, i aske about warranty on it and they said no, we dont give warranty with that :( 7mths come on thats so **** :(

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well done, nice post with all the pretty pictures too : )

dodgy

Reaction score
Looks good, well done, what was the total price for parts?

tsimira

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN V6 Executive
dodgy said:
Looks good, well done, what was the total price for parts?

Total was $75 give or take

2m of fabric from Daleys $25.90p/m
1lt tin Selleys Kwikgrip (heat & water resistant) from Bunnings $19.15
Elcheapo (5cm wide) painbrush from Bunnings $1.80

Although it cost me an extra because I buggered it up and wasted the first tin of glue so had to buy another :rolleyes:

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
What sort of fabric did you use? My lining is starting to sag and look **** in general (previous owner left cigarette burns in it).

Also, did you put foam back on it, or was it just the fabric stuck straight onto the cardboard?

tsimira

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN V6 Executive
mouce said:
What sort of fabric did you use? My lining is starting to sag and look **** in general (previous owner left cigarette burns in it).

Also, did you put foam back on it, or was it just the fabric stuck straight onto the cardboard?

The fabric is proper foam backed headlining fabric, the fabric and foam are one piece. If you are in Melb Daleys is in Fawkner (where I got it from) and I also was pointed to Nolans who are in Oakleigh Sth.

:)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
nice job tsimira,we all told you it wasnt very hard to DIY...and now you get that warm satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself and it looks a million bucks better than it did before.