Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn or Vp auto into VR

R

riverrat321

Hi guys. Just wondering if a VN or VP auto could be used to replace a dying VR auto box??? I'm told the VR and VS electronically controlled box is not as durable as the VN/VP box.

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
There EXACTLY the same box other then the like you say.. VS are electronic.

There TH700's

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
VR has the eletronic version too. I've allways been told that model isn't as strong as the original? are you sure all the parts inside are the same?, I know a turbo 350 is a little stronger again, if you don't mind missing overdrive :p and burning heaps of fuel

myvrwagonneedshelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
Actually dude you are right in saying they are all turbo 700's but after seeking advice for a replacement myself once i found out there were lots of turbo 700's... and too the extent of different models being in the one model car like the vr apparently they say on the actual box or it could be as simple as series 1 had 1 type and series II another any how check with a pro before attempting anything :coolpimp:

R

riverrat321

Thanks for the input. I'm just a little worried cos I had bad and expensive problems with my old vr commodore.

T

TRANSMISSIONGURU

No, they're not the same. 4HDD is VR transmission, 5HDD 6HDD and 7HDD are VS transmissions. These transmissions are all called 4L60E (the E stands for electronic).
VN/VP are TH700 or now called 4L60.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
isn't the number representative of the year model of the box? ie 5HDD is 95, although not specifically for VS? that's what I was told when looking to replace mine