Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Alloy Auto Shifter & Handbrake Cover

F

flc

Hi, I have a VY Executive sedan and really want to replace the ugly plastic auto shift and handbrake covers with attractive alloy ones. I have searched and searched and can't find out how it is done. Does anyone have any instructions or hints? Thanks :unsure:

Ralph1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SSZ
Yes I have done the auto shifter and hand brake cover, changing the auto shifter is not as hard as people make out (well I didnt think so), there is no pin on the VY series so it is easy but takes time to do it. I will try and list what I remember I had to do and if anyone else see's something I missed jump in.

Steering Wheel.

1.Disconnect the negative terminal on the Battery (important to neutralise airbag)

2.Locate the 4 mounting hole on the back of the steering wheel (2 left, 2 Right), you might have to use a torch to find them for the first time.

3.Using a medium size flat screw driver insert vertically into one of the mounting hole in the back of the steering wheel and twist, at the same time pull on the same corner of the air bag and it will come away slightly, do this on all 4 mounting points and the air bag will come off.

4.Disconnect the red horn plug and the red stereo control plug

5.Disconnect the yellow airbag plug at the airbag, it pulls out with a bit of force.

6.Undo the retaining bolt in the middle of the wheel (make sure that the wheel does NOT have its steering wheel lock on (ie have the key at the on position, nothing will happen with the battery disconnected, but the steering wheel will not lock.)

7.Make sure that the wheel is exactly straight before you remove it.

8.Remove wheel and transfer the stereo controls to the new wheel.

9.Fit new wheel and put a small amount of loctite on the bolt and tighten.

10.Reconnect air bag, horn and stereo controls.

11.Line up retaining clips on the airbag and push firmly on the wheel, they should clip into place and hold the airbag on.

12.Reconnect battery.

13.Take for a test drive and make sure wheel is straight. (Don’t be tempted to test drive with no airbag connected, as you will log an airbag fault, which will have to be removed by Holden.

Auto Shifter

1. Keep battery disconnected

2. Pull ot the rubber mat from inside the crap compartment which is in front of the shifter and under the compartment with the door, there are 2 screws under that which need undoing, and one at the back up high (you will need to get your head down level with the shifter to see it.

(not sure of this next step if some one can confirm)

3. I think that I also had to remove the side panels from the centre console buy removing the screws down the side of the glovebox and the door under the steering wheel (you will see the screws when you undo each of these) the passangers side cover also has a screw at the back and you will have to push the seat back to its limit to get to it. The drivers side does not have a screw but a vertical type clip near the hand brake cover which you just pull down on. Under these are screws which need to be removed also.

4. Open the lid of your centre console and you will see where the console top cover ends (which runs from the front where you just removed the screws to the front edge of the console bin/cd soreage area etc). You will need to get your fingers under this (it is very tight) and give it a fairly hard pull upwards and it will come up, then work your fingers down the length of this pulling up at each clip, once this is loose you will need to pull it up at about a 45 degree angle to get it out from the front.

5. Now you will have to use a small blade screw driver to prise/undo the clips that hold the shifter cover on, you can see them down the side under the cover there are four of these.

6. Now you have to use a torx type screw driver and undo the screw in the front of the shifter and the whole thing will lift off.

7. reassemble is the reverse of above. The hardest part I found was getting the leather shifter boot to stay on the cover as you put it back on, but it just takes time (you will see what I mean when you get to this stage.)

Hand Brake Boot

1. Prise the top cover off from the back (this lock the boot on)

2. Work the boot off towards the front

3. the button is not screwed on like pervious models but is retained by a clip which is easy to brake (trust me) so be very gentle with it.

4. Install is reverse of above again.

Most of this sounds hard but it is easy and will become clearer as you go.
Need any more info?
Hope this helps you out.

Next step is to show it off to your mates !!!:wave:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
That is a good description of the process. I don't think you need to remove the side panels from the centre console though. The top will unclip once the screws have been removed from the front. Also remember to disconnect the wiring from the power windows and traction control (if applicable).

I also have them on mine and they really clean the car up. Has anyone else had a problem with the alloy handbrake cover unclipping?

F

flc

Thanks...It sure makes the job seem easier. I appreciate your help..:thumbsup:

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
do you have to pull all that apart to change the black plastic cover to the silver one (keeping the orignal shifter inplace)?

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I would just hold on to it and get it installed when you get your car serviced - I did. That way, no effort to install, and it comes with a workmanship warranty in case something goes asunder.

Leno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon 5.7
Change Steering Wheel

Thanks Ralph1 for the exellent instructions on changing the steering wheel:bow: . I just put a new HBD steering wheel in. Took about 3/4 hour (being very careful with airbag). I don't think I would have even attempted it without your instructions. Just thought I would also add that the retaining bold is 30mm so have a large socket set ready.:dance:

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ADDITION TO REPLACING SHIFTER

YOu dont need to take the sides off the console. Once you remove the shifter, pop the original button out of its place by sliding a flat head screw driver down the gap beside the button. You will then see two screws holding the bezel in place . Undo these and then pry the clip at the base of the shifter. Bezel should now slide straight out.

Handy Hint- if your having trouble with keeping the leather shifter boot attached to those tiny little nibs underneith the shifter face, put these in place before you reattached the gear shifter and attach a little bit of Blu-Tack on every little nib. This makes it so much easier to put it all back in place neatly.