Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

electric superchargers

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
On their website they claim about 7 or 8 hp at the wheels difference.

Dont know how it would go with the VL's AFM though

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ahhhh i got a simple solution:D

slap a leaf blower onto it your throttle body lol thats claimed to have about 5 or 6 pound boost for about 1/4 of the price....
warning this should not be tried at home and i accept no reponsibility whatsoever for any damages:hit:

T

thestash_16

haha that would be sweet,some one should try that as a joke.

T

thestash_16

one guy who brought the rammer said that it doesnt work on his V8.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
thestash_16 said:
haha that would be sweet,some one should try that as a joke.
trust me its been tried.....thats y i accept no reponsibility for the actions that might occur if someone actually does this lol

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
boona15 said:
trust me its been tried.....thats y i accept no reponsibility for the actions that might occur if someone actually does this lol

I shall have to try this one...

I currently have my home made CAI coming out into bumper scoop, will have to buy more hosing the right size, run it around the car, (secured by duct tape) into the boot (?) where i will have my petrol powered blower with exhaust ducted to outside of car but facing towards the back for some extra thrust, throttle for blower will be hand adjustable from inside the cabin.

Give it a go I spose....

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Why the electric superchargers as advertised on ebay don't work.
We will just look at one example and will use the 3.8 V6 Ecotec which is a pretty common engine.
Such an engine if it had 100% volumetric efficiency and you were to give it wide open throttle will draw 3.8 litres of air in two revolutions of the engine.
Say it idles at 700rpm that is 1.9litres/rev by 700 = 1330litres per minute.
Now we increase the rpm to 1500 = 1.9 by 1500 = 2850litres per minute.
Now lets jump up a bit to 4000 rpm = 1.9 = 7600litres per minute.
You will see that the at only 4000rpm the air volume has increased 7 times from idle. Will these puny electric superchargers which draw (from one advert at least) 35 amps = 420watts be capable - no way. As with a supercharger this electric motor is sucking power out of the engine in order to provide some. The photos I have seen on the net show the electric supercharger to be far too small to have a hope of providing a boost that would feed a 1.5 litre engine let alone a 3.8 litre.
An engine driven supercharger increases speed and volume with engine speed and so does a turbo charger. Any electric motor would have to be capable of drawing a lot of amps which would flatten the battery if it could keep up with demand from the commodore engine without even being able to provide boost pressure. As in the example above the electric motor would have to be capable of increasing its operating speed 7 times to keep on top of things without becoming a liability to intake volume. Electric motors if overdriven start to become generators and oppose the additional rpm.

Last edited:

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
totally agreed. These things are for people who don't understand the principal behind how an engine works and makes power just so they can say "hey man yeah its supercharged bro its fully madd"

M

Manwal VN

I know a dude who put one on a magna, lost power over all, became a restriction.