Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Sikaflex

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
Ey guys, ive just removed most of the side strips on my car, all except the drivers door one, and there is some sikaflex still stuck on the door from the original moulds.
Its not a HUGE amount of it, and im just wondering how i would go about removing it? like is there a special tool or a solution that will disolve it or sumthing? i know when the windscreen gets replaced they use a special tool but that prob wouldnt be to practical around the paint n stuff?

If there is no proper way to get it off, i am prelacing the original black strips with red ones like the SS's, would the new sikaflex ive got stick to the original stuff still on the doors? or not?

Any help appreciated

Nick

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
ive been told to get sika remover, has anyone used that ir heard of it?
where would i get it from? repco?

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
got a caramel wheel today from a paint supplier, 2 for $20
works a treat, take some time, but it all comes off.....just a few small caramelly smudges here n there

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sixes said:
Time and patience!! Careful work with a razor blade and metho or eucalyptis oil will remove it.

Be careful, as there is no "easy" way to remove it :(

you dont wanna put a razor blade anywhere near the paintwork...too sketchy.
pinstripe removers and caramel wheels are the best way to get the bulk of sikaflex off (as already mentioned above)....and some wax and grease remover to totally clear it away.

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Ive taken off the Calais side strips from a VL and did it with a razor blade, worked well. Didnt take all the sikaflex off as the car was sold as is by a mate who stripped the car bare

But will keep those ideas in mind for any future removal of the stuff.

Good products to try out :)

W

wizza

nick88 said:
got a caramel wheel today from a paint supplier, 2 for $20
works a treat, take some time, but it all comes off.....just a few small caramelly smudges here n there

what is the caramel wheel you speak of? im in the same trouble you were in :S could you post me a picture of it?

cheers

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
yea ill take some pics tomorrow wizza, you should be able to pick up a caramel wheel a.k.a pin stripe remover from any auto paint supplier, look em up in the yellowpages or sumthin n give em a call to make sure they have em first. just attach it to a drill and away you go, but dont let it get to hot and in one spot too long, cause itll leave a browny tinge and may take a little paint with it to.
Nick

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,597