Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retrimmed my door inserts.

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
Hey I've been doing some retrimming this weekend, did the little padded inserts in my doors. Used dark grey vinyl - $15 give or take and some contact adhesive - $10.

Pretty tedious, as the vinyl doesn't wrap as well as the original fabric. I would probably consider using fabric if I did this again.

Does anybody know how I would go if I were to dye my seat skins? That way wouldn't have to replace any of the fabric.

Let me know what you think, or has anyone else done this?

carint14zz.jpg

What you need...
- Material of your choice, fabric or vinyl. My vinyl cost about $12 but I got a lot extra to do other things.
- Contact adhesive. Pick this up from any hardware shop, it might differ which product you use if you're using fabric or vinyl. The product I used is called Selley's Kwik Grip. Cost about $10.
- Paint Brush. This will most likely be wrecked by the contact adhesive.

Step 1
Remove door trim. It may pay to start with whichever you deem your least used door. Use your Gregory's manual to remove the door trim. Once you have it off, you will see how the insert is held in place and how to remove it.

Step 2
Remove the fabric from the insert. Try not to damage it and be gentle as it may rip some of the padding off with it.

Step 3
Place the original fabric onto your vinyl or fabric as a rough template, don't cut it in the exact shape, you can cut it as required later on. I cut about an inch surrounding the template.

Step 4
Place your new cut out onto the insert as a trial fit. I drew on the back of my vinyl where the edge of the insert was so I knew where to put the adhesive and so that I did not put too much on.

Step 5
Make sure you read your adhesive's label before using. Once you are happy to start gluing, begin applying the adhesive to both surfaces. Wait the required amount of time as advised by the product's directions, and place the two surfaces together. I did this is three sections; the horizontal part at the bottom of the insert, the upwards curve, and the remaining flat section at the top of the insert.
Note: the rear inserts were a lot easier than the fronts. Vinyl will not lay evenly on the front inserts. To overcome this, the vinyl needed to be stretched and manipulated a bit.

Step 6
Now that you have applied your new trim to the 'face' of the insert, you can figure how you will need to cut and fold it in order to fold it around the edges. It is best to do this as you go. Cut holes around the protrusions that are used to hold the insert in the door trim.

Step 7
Wait 10 minutes or so to make sure the adhesive is all touch dry, before fitting the insert back into the door trim. You may need to cut the new vinyl if it is too bunched up in some areas, such as the 'pointy end'.

Last edited:

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Hey that looks pretty neat to me :thumbsup:

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
That does look pretty sweet to me... was thinking how I would go about doing the same just the other day.

In doing mine, I would do it in fabric but in a more satin silver to go with the car exterior. Wouldn't mind leather but that will be $$$ and I dont have the leather interior to match anyway so it would be a waste of time.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Are the door trims easy to remove?
I'm going to do something with my interior very soon.

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
Yeah, there's plenty of info around on how to get the trims off. The inserts are held in place with about 4 or 5 nuts (really thin metal - hard to explain) so you use a socket to remove them, and there are also these plastic, I guess, locks that slide over some tabs. Yeah, pretty hard to explain but seeing is believing!

I'm thinking of doing mine again already! Thinking of using a fabric instead of vinyl, then putting a second layer of mesh over it, like basketball shorts type mesh.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
hi all i want to do this to what's the steps for doing it and what do you use to get the material to stick to the curved bit? and do you staple it at the back or stick it? also do you just go over the original stuff or remove it it would be better to remove wouldn't it ?

by the way i think yours looks neat as !!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Why did you do it vinyl? Fabric looks much nicer. You did a great job though :)

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
Original post edited.

I am thinking of redoing them in fabric actaully, because I've actaully only done half of my inserts :embarrass! I'm a bit scared though that I won't be able to remove the vinyl!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, new inserts can be taken from many wreckers, i wouldn't of thought they'd be that expensive new anyways.