Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mini spool in vn v6

4eyedperson

Calais Comforts...OH Yeah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Hi all, i drive a 1990 vn v6 calais, and im wanting to put a mini spool in it. I am aware of all the risks and such but i dont know a lot about it.

Anyway my question, im my standard diff, can the spool be put in that diff, what type will i need, and all this stuff about 28 and 31 splines. whats that?

As u can tell im not really in the no when it comes to car parts. Please help

thanks

4eyedperson

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
alright mate, been there done that with spools, so im speaking entirely from real experience here.

first off... if in doubt - DONT

now having said THAT.

you'll need a 28 spline spool to fit the borg warner diff. VPW stock them for abotu $120. you'll need a diff place to fit it for you, seeing as you dont know what a spline is, make sure they SET the diff too. the shims need grinding down to give it a prurrrfect fit or else it will whine like your mrs.

hopefully you know what a spool DOES? and be prepared to go through afull set of tyres each month ... and thats IF you behave on the road.
oh .. and dont complain and be upset when you snap your axles.

MINI SPOOLS ARE DANGEROUS ... ESPECIALLY IN THE WET ..
mini spools in cars with drivers who DO NOT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THEIR PARTICULAR VEHICLE ARE LETHAL.

in short. yes you can fit a minispool in your car as it is. yes you will need a 28 spline as that is what your axles are. yes you will use tyres like toilet paper. yes you will snap an axle if you flog it around every corner.

have fun, but be warned - they are extremly dangerous in unexperienced/uncapable hands ... and not to mention highly illegal

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
well whats that about the shims???? mine doesnt whine. You will need a 28 spline ones as mentioned above.. BUT if you have an LSD centre you cant do it.

4eyedperson

Calais Comforts...OH Yeah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Thanks heap sOsage, really appreciate it. And just incase it worries you i have driven a car with a mini spool and i do understand that my usual drving style must be changed... oh and my Mrs said to say thanks for the coment about the whining. :) anyway I found out off a mate about the splines thing. And just wondering if anyone could tell me how hard is it to put in bigger axles with 31 splines so as they break less. Big or small job? And how much of a difference in terms of strength will it make?

i would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks again

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
The spline question is that when you want a 31spine diff center you would need a 31spline axle.
Getting them custom made in billet(wrong spelling i think) steel which would cost a bit but might help in breaking axles.
More the slpines the higher loading (transfer of power from diff to wheels) the axles can hold before stripping the splines.
Diff installation would be the same as installing the 28 spline.

jonno_12

jonno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo manual :)
spools are the go!
ive had my diff locked 4 ages and had heaps of fun! i have only the 28spline axles and have never broke 1! although i often go down the street just to get some smokes or something and just parking or doin a u-bolt the wheel starts skipppin and sometimes it gets annoyin caus ya just wanna get some smokes and all the old people look at me thinkin im doin a skid or somethin "f**kin P platers"
i say "f**kin old people" all over the bloody road!! but in the long run a s**tload of fun!!!

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If the diff isnt whining now it wont when you put the spool in. All you have to do is make sure the carrier bearing shims are put in the same side as they come out. Using a jack & a chain you can spread the housing to make removal & installation easier.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
^^ yup, alternatively you can pop the center out with a bit of pipe, levering against one of the crown gear bolts, and the diff housing