Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto 2 Manual

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Hi guys I'm about to do the Auto to manual conversion but I am wondering aboput diff ratios. Could anyone please advise the best ratios for my diff which is a standard diff for the VL Auto 3.08. Would I need a better diff ratio if so what is best for a standard VL?

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
I got no idea mate, but I'm a big manual fan also, and yes I too have an auto VL. My uncle, a mechanic of 30+ years reckons that a manual conversion for a VL is a real pain-in-the-arse job...

Are you 100% getting it done? if so, was the person doing it for you reluctant to take up the job?

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
NeilB said:
Hi guys I'm about to do the Auto to manual conversion but I am wondering aboput diff ratios. Could anyone please advise the best ratios for my diff which is a standard diff for the VL Auto 3.08. Would I need a better diff ratio if so what is best for a standard VL?

Depends on what you want ur car to do!

But a 3.36 diff is a good all rounder..:thumbsup:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
the diff ratio for a N/A auto and a N/A manual are the same. do the gearbox swap first then worry about diff ratios.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
can I humbly suggest buying a VL manual and selling your car, lots cheaper and easier
also if yours is a 6 cyl I think the computer is different

the auto can be driven like a manual by holding it in the different gears, anyhow
these altered cars arent easy to eventually sell either

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Thanks for the comments guy's but as for selling it NO WAY! I don't mind a bit of mucking around to put it in (it's going into Dazza's car he's my son) the amount of sound gear Etc it would be more mucking around to move it than the gearbox. The reason for the swap is the Auto's had it and we got hold of the Manual at a good price. We intend doing it ourselves. Should be fun?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
You wont need to touch the computer if going from Auto to Manual, it is only if you go from Manual to Auto.

If it does have 3.08 gears, try to get some 3.45 gears for it.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
harry3 said:
can I humbly suggest buying a VL manual and selling your car, lots cheaper and easier

Sell this and buy sombody elses flogged out 5speed?! i dont think so :D
why sell a great car when u only wanna change 1 thing ...

dazvlsunny9mf.jpg

and yeh its only 3.08 gears. i was gunna save sum pennys after all this and hunt a vl turbo diff down :)

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
sweet ride. i wouldn't sell it either. it's not a hard conversion. just make sure you get the flywheel and backing plate. master and slave cyl's and hose. pedal box. gear knob surround plate and retaining ring for the shifter sock. also the plate under the centre console is different too i think. crossmember and tailshaft. etc etc. have fun, it shouldn't take more than a day. let us know how you go. :)