Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS VY 2 Performance

N

newport47

Hey guys...new to the form but loving reading all the posts and others experiences...

wondering if i can seek some advice from out there...recently (12 months ago) treated myself to first V8...2004 VY Series ii SS wagon...manual so its a hoot to drive..only issue is that since buying I have to say I have been a bit underwhelmed with the performance. I read a lot that the standard ratios are not set up for speed off the mark and its not as quick in just around town stuff as I would have imagined. Have a few friends drive it who are familiar with holden v8's and they agreed it feels a bit stifled..

Was wondering if there are any opinions as to whether the wagon may carry enough extra weright to blunt the performance, or it is (as seems to be commented quite often on here) that Holden haven't allowed the engine to breathe and exhaust and intake mods are pretty standard treatments before you get to free up the available power.

May sound a bit naive but new to V8's and she isnt delivering what I imagined!

Apprecaite any thoughts...? Thanks...

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
look at getting an LS1 edit, this will reduce the fuel consumption and increase the performance, before this fit extractors and pipes (sounds way better), K&N filter and another hole in your air box, the sky is the limit with these engines, it all comes down to your wallet.

N

newport47

thanks for your feedback...will investigate those... the lack of performance was what was worrying me and was pretty sure it was not all it should be. Will be looking at thos measures to increase the performance and if possible decrease fuel consumtion (not main priority)

thanks for your reply!

N

newport47

thanks for your feedback...will investigate those... the lack of performance was what was worrying me and was pretty sure it was not all it should be. Will be looking at thos measures to increase the performance and if possible decrease fuel consumtion (not main priority)

thanks for your reply!

J

JA SV8

I got a cat back system on my VY SV8, and it has made a difference, the before dyno run was a wabbly line, the after was smooth (and a 8kw odd at the wheel power incress :)
I remember looking at the stock one, holden acutally squash them in sections to make it a certain height under the car!!!!! i was shocked!!! mind you i have scraped my exhuast on some speed bumps, but nothing serious (stock height too)
I would recommend a cat back, if not full system (i couldnt affored a full one)
a good system is Di Flippio systems, good power and sound fantastic.
You could also get a over the radiator cold air intake, that would help.
Then a LS1 edit, that is meant to be great ( i dont have either of the last two mentioned... one day)

Hope this helps, maybe the wagon is heavier as i let a mate have a drive of my car yesterday and i think he shat himself :)

N

newport47

Ha! good response from your mate!!!

thanks for that...will investigate those mods...have driven a few other cars of late as a comprison and its actually good to jump back into the ss and u do appreciate the power....albeit it is more of a graduual build up rather than anything desperate off the line. Have heard the cold air intake mods do have an improvement...am going to check the posts to try and work out what is possible without voiding warranty?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Do these following mods, ring a reputable tuner:

Have full defilipo system put through, have PT OTRCAI fitted, have a mafless tune and say hello to 230 rwkw, then if you are still unhappy go some 3.9's in the diff and enjoy yourself ;)

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
Ive got a vy 5.7 1 tonner,when i first bought it the car while like a big bag of crap could not get anything out of it also the fuel eco was crap,i put a full exhaust on and it has heaps more power seems like it breaths easier and is more fuel efficient.
My 2c

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
These are recommend the first three mods to do.

Full exhaust fit out- Depends on what sound and how loud you would like it.

Cold air intake- OTRCAI (Over The Radiator Cold Air Intake).

Edit- Mafless tune.

Then.

Ripshift shifter.

25% underdrive pulley

Diff ratio change out- 3.9 or 4.11

Small cam:whistling

Don't forget the "BRAKES".
With all that extra power you still need to stop.
A small increase makes a big difference, they say.

Last edited:
J

JA SV8

newport47 said:
.am going to check the posts to try and work out what is possible without voiding warranty?

I think you will find most mods arent to bad with warrenty. Dependingon what breaks, like a cat back is no worries, unless it causes a problem! maybe a tune, or maffless tune would be more of a concern, but there are definatly things that can be done without loosing warrenty. I would definately get a exhaust asap :p

Also are you in newport? or is ur name about something else?