Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - VN bonnet release

stunnd

Reaction score
Got my car back from the alarm shop the other day, and the bonnet release handle isnt working. The cable is fine, not broken etc, its the small plastic section that the handle sort of swivels on, it pops out of that when you pull the handle up...is there meant to be a screw or something holding the handle into this section??

It's hard to explain, I'll try and get some pics up...but im desperate, as I can't open my bonnet!!

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I say you need a new plastic handle thingy, but for the interim can you use a pair of pliers to pull the cable so at least you can open your bonnet.

Cheers,
Jim
:cool:

S

Sik_90VN

i had this problem and to open it i had to get someone to push on the bonnet, then i would hold the handle out while they lifted it up. When i had it resprayed they said the bonnet was out of alignment so they straightened it for me. works fine now.

B

baryscommodore

When I baught the VN Commodore S (1989) the bonnet doesn't always wanna open, I have to always have a mate with me to push down on the bonnet while i pull the lever to open. I noticed when you close the bonnet it goes into a hole, in the hole I noticed the metal was bent, I made it strate again n I tried to open the bonnet n how the lever is really loose like its dosconnected or something, is there a way I can still open the bonnet? I tried taking out the grill thing but didn't really help. Please someone help me! lol

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Oh **** that sucks guys. The bonnet on my magna always gets stuck ever since i rear ended someone :(

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I just had the same problem with my VN and solved it. I thought I'd put some info here to help the next poor sod.

When the bonnet closes the pin/striker goes into a metal cylinder on the front of the car, the latch for the bonnet is mid-way down this. (left pic). If the striker bolt is too loose, when the bonet closes the striker goes past the latch and gets stuck on the rear of the metal cylinder (you know when this happen as sometimes the bonnet will pop open a bit, catching on the latch). Picture on the right.

So to stop this happening you tighten the striker to make sure it does not reach the other end of the cylinder.

That is all well and good but how did I open my bonnet when it was stuck.... Get a mate to pull the latch back (no need to force it) and pull the bonnet left and right. What you are tying to do is to get the striker to line up with the barrel so that it will go into the cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Attachments

• vn_bonnet.jpg
    vn_bonnet.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,663

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
what do you do if you have adjusted your striker and your cable but there seems to be too much tension on the spring for the lever to open it...

i kept trying to adjust the cable to pull harder and the cable snapped now i have to pull the cable from the front bumper to open the bonnet :eek:

g/f's car btw

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I think that is a trip to the wreckers then for a new cable.

When I tried to fix mine, I first thought the same thing (lacth not pulling back far enough). To check when I got the bonnet open I pulled on the cable and checked that the latch pulled back from the cylinder. If it clears the cylinder chance are it is the striker being too loose.

Mike

V

VnChick85

i had that same problem it just needed some grease in where the latch is under the bonnet

Moonman

Reaction score
Yeah my lever is a little dodgy, and used to do the trick with the mate leaning on it, however, I have found that if you pull the lever all the way extremely quickly the bonnet will pop without someone leaning on it.