Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much for power windows?

S

scottieb

just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how much itd cost to put in power windows??

D

death-from-above

Probably too much. You would need to also put in all the switches in both the doors and the centre console which can be tricky. Can be done, but i guess it depends how bad you want them.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
you would need the motors in the doors, the switches the loom (might be there already im not sure) and you would have to also wire it up to the ecu or bcm if its not there already......you would be better off finding an acclaim or higher wreckage and rummage through it for the doors/and al lthe bits you need

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
From a wrecker, look at $100 a door + another $100 for switches & bits.

Privately you can often halve that.

Fronts are the same from VN-VS.
There are 2 types of rears, but both will fit in VN-VS.

If you are lucky your car will have some wiring in it already. VR & VS are quite a bit different in the relay positions - which do you have?
I can tell you what to look for with regards to wires.

You will need to wire around the BCM to bypass the auto-down (doesn't work in a lo-series BCM) andd no you can't simply swap them - unless you get a low series one with key heads that is power window enabled.

The power feed control from the BCM will work however - and if you have wiring it is a simple matter of plugging in a relay.

When I owned my business (auto sparks) I was quoting a full day & $300 to fit it all if the customer supplied parts, otherwise I would chase parts & charge them at cost.

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
When I noted "$100 a door" by that I mean the mechanism, motor & door harness will cost $100 - not the entire door!

The entire mechaism is different to the manual ones - you need to remove the manual ones by drilling out the rivets, then you can fit the power ones in your doors.

You can't simply fit motors onto your manual mechanisms.

J

Jason

I have a vs acclaim, and im pretty keen on getting Power myself. i tried looking into it, but really couildnt get anywhere with it - couldnt find any of the alleged DIY kits that are around, and finally got a quote of...sit down...$900, just for the front! Fook me in the goat ass! Apparetly for this price you get factory look-everything-frigin'perfect and id hope so too, but Jesus Christ there's got to be a cheaper way than that.
I only checked out one wrecker, and the old coot said he wouldnt sell me a power window internal for less than $300 a door if he had one.

I've heard of these conversion Kits you can get, but does anyone actually know where from? cos that sounds like the most straight foward way to do it.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
What about going down to your wreckers and grabbing some doors with the motors in it? All u have to do then is spray them.

S

sjersoy

2_SeeK_U said:
What about going down to your wreckers and grabbing some doors with the motors in it? All u have to do then is spray them.
have a look at holden commodore books and rang a places in sydney and they do for $410.00 to $460.00 dollards i will do my after i get the interior in the car so it will hide yhe car to were the handile were good luck from eddie the fully sic commodore :drink:

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
$460 for all 4 doors? If its the case PLEASE tell me where and l'll get mine done aswell!!!

A

airfireman1

I have converted my vr series 2 to power windows, I was lucky enough to get a full set of power operated doors off ebay for $100 all the wiring was already in my car ( it is on some models) easiest way to check is to remove the centre console cover and check for the plugs. I picked up the switches from a wrecker for $120 and bought 2 relays,and a new set of rivets. 3 hours work and$235 later I had power windows, with drivers auto down.