Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuild

96vsute

:wave: does anyone know how to go about rebuilding a power steering pump on a vs v6. where can i get a seal kit and how much are they worth

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Steering Pump

Hey matey, i did my pump a couple years ago in my old VS.
It was guna cost i think 170 for a reco one, :cry: but i went to holden and bought a seal kit for 15 bucks!!! Well worth it!!!! :yeah: :yeah:
Its not to hard either to replace.
Jack the front of your car up, both sides, so you can turn the wheel freely without the motor running. You need this for when you bleed the system when you finish.
Then loosen the four bolts on the front of the pump, holding the big black pulley on it. Take off your serpentine (I like flash words) belt, then take the pulley completely off the pump.
Then drain your steering resevour (spelling???) its on the radiator.
Take the hoses off, just to get them out the way.
Then take the hoses off the back of the pump itself.
One is a high pressure hose, pain in the arse to get off.
Once all thats done undo the 3 bolts holding it in, (i think its three, its all from memory) Now comes the fun part!
The pump'll more than likley have a little fluid left in it, drain it out.
You need a vice, make things easy!
The worst part is getting the c-clip out the back of the pump. Once you get that out, it took a little mucking around the back cover will come off.
Lay everything out as it comes out.
In the kit you should get 2 Big o-rings, a small o-ring and an end seal.
Its usually the larger o-rings that go causing the leaks, the get hard from the heat. Some things may seem like they are stuck in the pump, but it is just the fluid sticking them togther, i cant think of what its called.
Once you finish and the pump is together fill it with a little fluid not full cause when it goes back it'll leak outta the holes.
Anyways, once you have the pump all resealed and back together.
Put it back in the car, hook up all your hoses and the pulley and belt.
Then fill the reserviour (again spelling??? sorry) once full, turn the wheel full lock each way twice. Keep doing this till the level remains constant.
Everything should be all good, you may need to top up again once some fluid enters the pump.
If you have a manual on the car that thell you how to do it completely and has a picture of the pump in pieces.
Dunno if you wanted this much info, im in typing mode this morning but hope it helps ya out!!! :D :D

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Geez. My pump's okay, but after reading such an informative reply, it makes me feel like pulling mine apart.
Well done. :king:

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I was at work . . .
Bored outta my head . . . . :cry:
and maybe i got a little too carried away . . . :whistling
Anyways Cheers!!!

96vsute

Thanks very much for that. I'll be doing it real soon.

Cheers Again ;)

M

mattspew

deserthead - You're a champ.... Going to give that a bash on the weekend.....