Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front seat head rests

T

thethug

does anyone know whether the adjustable head rests on the front seats in a VS Acclaim can actually be removed?
i bought a set of universal seat covers - which i was told could be fiited to this model -but the seat part of the cover is seperate to the headrest piece:i.e - the head rest has to be removed to slide the main seat component on first. :ranting:
tried to remove head rest but didn't want to force it;checked manual - didn't say you could remove it - so i thought i'd ask here before taking seat covers back to shop.

thanks

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
They do come out but here's the prob.... the plastic retaining tubes that hold them have a spring clip in them that gives it the "click click" positioning. The bottom groove in the headrest leg is shaped so as not to allow it to go any further out of the seat. Which is fine if you own an earlier commodore - you simply slide the clip out with a flat bladed driver, and lift out the headrest.

However, in their endless wisdom, GMH decided for the later models (like VS) to fit the clips into the plastic retaining tubes as normal, and fit the tubes into the seat frame, but did this **before** putting the trim over the top - thus the headrests pop in nicely, only ONCE, but are almost impossible to remove without undoing the trim on the seat & peeling it all the way up to get to the clips - not worth it basically.

The easiest way to fit those covers is to cut a slot in the top to go over the headrest, that's about all you can do if you don't want to half strip down your seats.

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
Yeah if it doesnt fit over headrest cut a bit, put them on, then put a stitch in it so it wont come apart easily.

T

thethug

head rests

thanks mixin and BekVP,

i had said to my husband that i'd just cut it and sew some velcro so as to still be able to take them off and wash them - but thought i'd check first whether the head rests could be taken out.

oh well - looks like i'll have to do some sewing - lucky me ! :cry:

again,thanks i appreciate it

F

flipsyde

dude dont they come with a button u can push in and then lift the head rest up?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe
As stated above there is no way you will be able to remove the headrest without cutting it open and stitching it up again as shown in the attached images.

The first image shows the headrest lining cut open to reveal the clip. As you can see it is very solid and can't be easily moved.

The second shows the headrest adjustment rod and you can see all positions except the last have a ramp to allow the clip to expand.

I tried making a cover to slip over the final adjustment rod indent out of light gauge sheet metal but there wasn't enough room in the nylon collar to insert it. It also tried the suggestion of using a feeler gauge but the retaining clip is too strong and just mangled the feeler gauge blade.

I agree placing the clip inside the headrest is a very poor decision

Attachments

• ClipRemoved.jpg
    ClipRemoved.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,231
  • HeadRestAdjustmentRod.jpg
    HeadRestAdjustmentRod.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,123

PBH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
how 2 remove headrest from seat

does anyone know whether the adjustable head rests on the front seats in a VS Acclaim can actually be removed?
i bought a set of universal seat covers - which i was told could be fiited to this model -but the seat part of the cover is seperate to the headrest piece:i.e - the head rest has to be removed to slide the main seat component on first. :ranting:
tried to remove head rest but didn't want to force it;checked manual - didn't say you could remove it - so i thought i'd ask here before taking seat covers back to shop.

thanks

this can be done fairly easily. lift the headrest too it's highest setting. now if u feel around where the headrest shaft fits into the backrest of the seat u will notice a rectangular shape (plastic/nylon retaining tube) just under the seat fabric. using multi-grips, grip the narrowest part of that plastic retainer, being careful not to rip the fabric, begin to rotate this around the shaft in small increments at a time. rotate 180º. what u have done is rotate the spring loaded locking wire around to the smooth side of the headrest shaft. the headrest will now slide straight out and be replaced just as easily - sweet as the proverbial hows-your-father.