Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

» Holden extended warranty servicing

xyze

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE series II Berlina
Hi Forum,

Just took my car (Holden Berlina series II 2010) into a holden dealership where I bought the car 1 year and 20,000kms ago for it's 2nd 6 month, 10,000km service....The car has now done 30,000 kms and is also due for it's log book service... The capped price is $259 but when I went into the shop the guy also suggested the following:

Throttle Clean = $132

Injector Clean = $135

A/C Treatment = $125

So all up this original service of $259 was going to take me up to an astronomical cost of $651...Is this guy trying to rip me off or something?...The A/C is fine to me for the moment, and if it needed all the other stuff, wouldn't it be added to the log book service list?

I called him back and said I'd just go for the regular service for now as I couldn't afford the other things, but it was mainly only because I didn't trust the price or the "extra" services....

Any advice you can give is appreciated...

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The services they are 'offering' (yes, they are only offers) are no different than when you go to see a Dentist, Plumber, etc. Whilst the services they offer are not compulsory, in having them you will ensure that your fuel system is clean although you could clean the throttle body and MAF youself and save heaps. Bit hard to clean the Injectors (without appropriate equipment) unless they are removed. Not sure what the A/C treatment involves. Perhaps get them to explain that one to you and just what the benefits might be - for YOU. As for the other two 'offers' without appropriate mechanical skills the services are probably good value (long term) - for you. You will get used to Service Advisors suggesting ways that you can spend your money on your car. Each time they do make such suggestions, ask them to explain if the 'service' they are offering is critical, necessary or only desireable, You will find that suggestions regarding brakes, leaks, component failures etc are best performed a.s.a.p. to avoid them becoming major issues. In maintaining your car (whilst under Extended Warranty) you will have a much greater chance of successful claims for warranty related matters. If the vehicle is not adequately maintained then they can argue that any such claim may be as a result of 'lack of maintennance'. Your choice.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Throttle clean is a $5 bottle of TB/Carby cleaner and 30 seconds.

Injector clean, would be about $135, but only if Holden removed the injectors and cleaned them, replaced filter basket and seals, and flow tested them. But since they charge approximately $120/h for labour and that would take a few hours then they are clearly not doing that. Probably just throwing a bottle of injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

What the hell is an A/C treatment. And why is it needed if the A/C is working fine? Are they de-gassing it, replacing dryer and re-gassing? Unnecessary if its working fine. When the A/C starts not getting as cold, then do it.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Is this guy trying to rip me off or something?...

It's called up selling and most companies do it.

"Do you want fries with that/in a meal deal?" (At fast food outlets)

"Would you like an extra pair of pants with your suit?" (Men's shop)

"Can I tempt you with these specials?" (At the servo counter)

I could go on but I am sure by this point you see that it's standard business practice when shopping.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Dont make excuses to them!!!!!!!!!!TELL THEM STRAIGHT UP ---NO THANK YOU, MAY BE NEXT TIME.
A/C treatment would be a can of anti bacterial spray directed into the air inlet,air vents while on recirculate to kill airborne bacteria and leave the air smelling nice and pretty,-by the way a can of original Glen 20 will do the same and leave your car with a nice new fresh smell :idea:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
"Throttle Clean = $132

Injector Clean = $135

A/C Treatment = $125"

IMHO it's a wank but it's good that you have highlighted this here.

1. The throttle body on a car with 30000 should not need cleaning and if it does take it to an independent mechanic and they will not charge you 130 to do it.

2. They are not doing anything to the injectors for that price and there is nothing that needs servicing on the injectors at those kms. Just add half a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of fuel and the other half on the next fill and do this once a year. Also run a couple of tanks of premium 98 through the car once a year.

3. If the AC is working fine there is nothing that needs to be done at 30000 kms.

If you really want to check it out send the service department an email and ask them to detail for you exactly what procedures they carry out for each of the OPTIONAL services they have suggested to your car , what specific parts or products they will use and how long it takes to perform each service. They probably won't even respond or if they do it will be short on detail.

If your car is running fine and you are having the standard book services recommended by GMH carried out at the required kms you are doing nothing to prejudice your warranty.

Finally it is far more important to change the engine oil and oil filter in the car far more frequently than every 15000 kms (which is ludicrously long). Change the oil (and oil filter) no later than every 7500 kms (with the recommended grade and type of oil) as an absolute minimum if you want to keep your engine in good condition and minimise sludge build up, premature wear etc . (I do it more frequently than that on my cars but that's me). You do not have to go to the dealer for this.

The dealer service centres are run as profit centres in the business so they are going to invent new ways to encourage owners to spend more money whilst they have your car in the workshop.

( I have never experienced this type of upsell from a dealer service centre so far so your post is an interesting one).