Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

0 to 100 times for 3.0 sidi!

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Ok guys, I was trawling the forums and the net for Official and non official 0 to 100 acceleration times for the 3.0l sidi engines, and not much has been written about them.

I don't want to turn this thread like all the others into "get a v8 for the torque" thread, however just an honest review for the 3.0 which I think it deserves. I have driven a 3.0 sidi Omega, and I did feel like it did lack a bit, it wasn't a slug.

So what info do you guys have? I've been told it'd about the 9 second mark, but also been told 7.5?

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Good question. I have read that on average the 3.6L SV6 can do it in 6.5 and the SS will do 5.5, but no info on the 3.0L. I guess because nobody really cared until now lol. I would put money on 7.5 to 8 seconds. I myself find that the 3.0 SIDI does lack, especially going up hills, it needs to rev quite hard to retain any sort of torque that it does have. Have to remember though, that little 3.0 is trying to carry a 1.7 tonne car.

Last edited:

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
This question was recently asked (search for thread) for someone looking to buy an Omega/Berlina or SV6 and like you the OP did not find any answers here or on the web - from memory the general consensus being that when 3.0L SIDI was release, this info was not relevant. A bit like what's the towing capacity of a Lamborghini.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well mate the time that a 3.0 SiDi gets to to 100Km is very slow indeed I believe the official term is glacial .

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Well mate the time that a 3.0 SiDi gets to to 100Km is very slow indeed I believe the official term is glacial .

Have seen 7.6s quoted. It's a great engine but you seem to be looking for a drag car with Prius economy!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Have seen 7.6s quoted. It's a great engine but you seem to be looking for a drag car with Prius economy!

They aren't all that bad , but in a heavy car like the Omega and now the Evoke , they're not going to be quick , mind you a stock Ecotec isn't quick either .

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
I hired one for a day and honestly, it wasn't totally that bad. I felt the 6 speed masked alot of torque deficiencies quite a bit. I've had two vys with the ecotec, and I can tell you, I'd rather be behind the 3.0 any day of the week. At least if you want to redline it, it's smooth, and rev hungry, a total opposite of the ecotec.

I think the 3.0 on its own deserves a proper review and acceleration times, as many sidi 3.0s are dropping in price and people I'm assuming would be interested like I am.

Glacial? Not that much so! Try driving a mid 80s Mercedes NA diesel with 66kw and 150nm!

If the 3.0 is indeed 7.5 to 8 seconds, that is respectable to me. The vy ecotecs were lucky to get 9 to 10 seconds as wagons.

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
I myself really want a VE 2 sv6 wagon, I can afford a VE2 omega wagon, but we will probably wait 6 months till the sv6 drops to 15k around.

I just sold my Aurion, I loved the way it moved and the engine was a gun, but the crap handling, ride and park bench seats turned me right off.

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
ive tested my dads omega annnd its pretty dam slow.. i timed it using an elm bluetooth adapter and torque pro android app. 9.5 seconds was the quickest i managed. it felt as though power was severely limited between idle and and about 3'000 rpm. and it makes sense because the throttle position recorded a max of 30% of opening up until that point anyway regardless of the fact i had my foot planted to the floor. maybe a tune will change that?

tonysholden22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
ive tested my dads omega annnd its pretty dam slow.. i timed it using an elm bluetooth adapter and torque pro android app. 9.5 seconds was the quickest i managed. it felt as though power was severely limited between idle and and about 3'000 rpm. and it makes sense because the throttle position recorded a max of 30% of opening up until that point anyway regardless of the fact i had my foot planted to the floor. maybe a tune will change that?

I honestly don't think a tuneup will do much to make that happen. You're fighting a lost cause, mate.