Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

0 to 100 times for 3.0 sidi!

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I hired one for a day and honestly, it wasn't totally that bad. I felt the 6 speed masked alot of torque deficiencies quite a bit. I've had two vys with the ecotec, and I can tell you, I'd rather be behind the 3.0 any day of the week. At least if you want to redline it, it's smooth, and rev hungry, a total opposite of the ecotec.

I think the 3.0 on its own deserves a proper review and acceleration times, as many sidi 3.0s are dropping in price and people I'm assuming would be interested like I am.

Glacial? Not that much so! Try driving a mid 80s Mercedes NA diesel with 66kw and 150nm!

If the 3.0 is indeed 7.5 to 8 seconds, that is respectable to me. The vy ecotecs were lucky to get 9 to 10 seconds as wagons.

I honestly don't think a tuneup will do much to make that happen. You're fighting a lost cause, mate.

Has about the same 0-100 time as. The Toyota 86. Not bad for a full size car to have the same time as a sports car.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Most of our general duties cars are 3.0 SiDi Omegas and Evokes , as mentioned they're not bad , but compared to the 3.6 SV6 patrol and highway cars you don't want to press them too much , where as the SV6's have a much higher rev range and have longer legs where it counts .

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
does it matter what the 0-100 is? If it was a concern of your I would imagine you bought the wrong car. Its not designed to be quick. Its a family cruiser....main thing this engine is ment to do is be good on fuel. Thats about it.

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
does it matter what the 0-100 is? If it was a concern of your I would imagine you bought the wrong car. Its not designed to be quick. Its a family cruiser....main thing this engine is ment to do is be good on fuel. Thats about it.

Your right, outright power isn't the biggest concern, but if you can get the 3.6 sidi for only a few grand more over a long term 5 year purchase, why wouldn't you?

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6

15k to 16k gets you a good km omega or Berlina, but for 4 or 5k more you can get a 3.6 sidi calais or sv6.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
but what is the extra $$ buying? The argument is irrelevant. Why buy a 3.6 when for a few grand more you can buy a 6.0? and so on...

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
but what is the extra $$ buying? The argument is irrelevant. Why buy a 3.6 when for a few grand more you can buy a 6.0? and so on...

I get your point. Depends what your interested in. At my time of life, I don't want an 8, but for the best 6, I don't see why not spending a few grand for it isn't worth it.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I get your point. Depends what your interested in. At my time of life, I don't want an 8, but for the best 6, I don't see why not spending a few grand for it isn't worth it.

Then go buy a 3.0L SIDI (Omega/Berlina), problem solved and thread closed!

I choose an Omega over other models - just like 1_johnboy said, it's a good family car designed to be better on fuel. Money saved/not spent went on mortgage.
Of ALL the recent 'which car should I buy' threads (and god there's been a lot of them of late...) everyone with a 3.0L hasn't had anything bad to say about their cars - because they bought the car that suited their purpose.

You mentioned you've driven the Omega and would like the SV6 - it appears you decision now is financial, not based on 0-100 times.

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6

I said that after driving both, with only a few grand price difference, I find it worthwhile waiting or spending the extra money on the bigger 3.6 litre especially that it is going to be a 5 year plus car for me.